Guest 88vic

Potential generator project

Guest 88vic

I have acquired a generac generator that the engine has blown up.  I am salvaging all wires and the gen head. I am going to make my own version of the wheel horse generator that mounts in front on the attach o matic.  I was wanting to know what the drive pulley diameter size was on the wheel horse generators so I can achieve the correct input speed when the engine is running at 3600 rpm. Thanks in advance. 

Tractorhead

Because the Generator before was directly coupled with the Engine,

it must be now same size of Pulley as on the Engine is.

1:1

lynnmor

Yes, same as engine.  The generator head, being a direct drive, may not have a bearing that will take the side loads of a belt drive.

• Like 1

Guest 88vic

I will have to use the sump cover from the engine, it has the bearing and mounting holes for the frame, I will cut the crank shaft and machine a keyway into it and install the appropriate pulley onto it. 

Guest 88vic

There is also adjustment on the AVR module in case there is an rpm drop with using a pulley. 

Guest 88vic

9500 watt with 110/240 outlets. I can pull the horse up to wherever I want and have power. 

8ntruck

Sounds neat.  Please don't forget to post some pictures.

bc.gold
13 hours ago, WHEELHORSEFAN*19 said:

There is also adjustment on the AVR module in case there is an rpm drop with using a pulley. 

You have the wrong understanding of the AVR's function, for instance your only using a toaster over drawing 1000 watts from your 9500 watt generator. The AVR ( automatic voltage control ) senses the load, decreasing voltage supplied to the excitation field which in turn lowers voltage supplied to the generator field thus protecting equipment or appliances from over voltage surges on the 110/220 volt ac receptacles.

The adjustment your referring to is to set excitation field voltage with the generator head at rest, once accomplished the AVR knows how to handle generator loads.

AVR (Automatic voltage regulator) is an instrument that adjusts voltage by means of automatic control device.

Voltage regulator (referred to as AVR) is designed for AC brushless generators with fundamental wave, harmonic compound excitation or permanent magnet generator excitation (PMG system).

Voltage regulator realizes the automatic regulation of generator output voltage by controlling the excitation current of generator AC exciter. Generator voltage regulator can be used for ordinary 60/50Hz as well as medium frequency 400Hz single or parallel generators.

An AVR is at the heart of devices often called power conditioners or power stabilizers. The typical power conditioner is an automatic voltage regulator combined with one or more other power-quality capabilities, such as:

1) Surge suppression

2) Short circuit protection (circuit breaker)

3) Line noise reduction

4) Phase-to-phase voltage balancing

5) Harmonic filtering, etc.

Power conditioners are typically used in low voltage (<600V) applications and sizes below 2,000KVA.

In general, the AC automatic voltage regulator (AVR) is a device designed to regulate voltage automatically – that is, to take a fluctuating voltage level and turn it into a constant voltage level.

Edited by bcgold