rawb1n

New member! Commando 8 just bought!

rawb1n

Hi!

Just bought a commando 8 with trailer, snowblower and mower deck. This is Norway and I have a little field and dirt road to keep in good condition. I have not yet received it but I am looking for general information about it. 

1. It would be good with lighting for winter snowblowing. It doesn't originally have headlights at the front? I have seen some rear mounted option.

2.  This tractor and some others have a missing diagonal sitting cover on the engine on left side. What is this and what does it mean if it is missing?

3. If I want a plough for it, am I restricted to wheel horse ploughs or do other ploughs work?

The same regarding tillers.

4. I see some mention of Toro making accessories. Do they make anything that fits the commando 8?

Thank you!

PSX_20200705_171638~2.jpg

Screenshot_20200705-170341~3.png

Screenshot_20200705-170318~2.png

Edited by rawb1n
Photos
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Thanks 1

rmaynard

It appears that you are missing the drive belt cover. Without it you have no clutch. I don't think any of the newer Toro accessories would work without modification. There was an accessory lighting kit available, but they are very expensive if you can even find one now. 

First thing you need to do is find a belt cover or you won't be able to get it in gear.

:WRS:

• Like 1

Herder

• Thanks 1

rawb1n
10 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

It appears that you are missing the drive belt cover. Without it you have no clutch. I don't think any of the newer Toro accessories would work without modification. There was an accessory lighting kit available, but they are very expensive if you can even find one now. 

First thing you need to do is find a belt cover or you won't be able to get it in gear.

Ok yes, I have asked the seller about that. They said they have it. I didn't realize it was that important though! I will make sure it is there. I guess I can mount a light on there somewhere with little modifications. It's not exactly original colour as you can see...so might be a project after a while to get it up to spec.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead

:text-welcomewave: to :rs:

Just bought a commando 8 with trailer, snowblower and mower deck. This is Norway and I have a little field and dirt road to keep in good condition. I have not yet received it but I am looking for general information about it. 

You‘re here definitively in the best Forum to find all info‘s arround Wheel Horses.

Most of info‘s can be found allready in the Manuals Section.

Some question will be answered if the Gentlemen with more knowledge than me chimed in.

1. It would be good with lighting for winter snowblowing. It doesn't originally have headlights at the front? I have seen some rear mounted option.

As long as you have proper electric with a Starter and a working Charging systems and a Battery

a Light Attachement was possible, but i go custom style Lightning.

The Charging system restricts the Power of illumination, that can be used with bulbs,

Instead i would preferr LED‘s. More light, less Power consumption.

there are some nice lights in the Aftermarket.

2.  This tractor and some others have a missing diagonal sitting cover on the engine on left side. What is this and what does it mean if it is missing?

I think you talking on the Belt Cover, that is required to get the Clutch working.

3. If I want a plough for it, am I restricted to wheel horse ploughs or do other ploughs work?

The same regarding tillers.

You are never restricted as long as you be able to work with Metal.

i see a lot of Brinley Ploughs behind the Horses.

4. I see some mention of Toro making accessories. Do they make anything that fits the commando 8?

Thank you!

rawb1n
47 minutes ago, Tractorhead said:

:text-welcomewave: to :rs:

You‘re here definitively in the best Forum to find all info‘s arround Wheel Horses.

Most of info‘s can be found allready in the Manuals Section.

Some question will be answered if the Gentlemen with more knowledge than me chimed in.

As long as you have proper electric with a Starter and a working Charging systems and a Battery

a Light Attachement was possible, but i go custom style Lightning.

The Charging system restricts the Power of illumination, that can be used with bulbs,

Instead i would preferr LED‘s. More light, less Power consumption.

there are some nice lights in the Aftermarket.

I think you talking on the Belt Cover, that is required to get the Clutch working.

You are never restricted as long as you be able to work with Metal.

i see a lot of Brinley Ploughs behind the Horses.

Thank you!

Thank you for your answers! 

Regarding question 2: I mean the cover shown in attached picture. I also know the belt cover you mentioned is missing, but they have it.

Screenshot_20200705-195528.png

rjg854

:WRS:  you've found yourself a very capable little tractor, I have 2 of them, and there are many attachments for it as well

20170702_122535-1.jpg.709e75c10b641cc4394d611d716952ac.jpg

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead
40 minutes ago, rawb1n said:

Thank you for your answers! 

Regarding question 2: I mean the cover shown in attached picture. I also know the belt cover you mentioned is missing, but they have it.

Screenshot_20200705-195528.png

That cover is just used on a Genny/Starter Combo.

There are different starter and Generator systems.

With a starter generator, a large pulley is on the Flywheel on top screwed and the starter generator is a bit aside the Enginecover.

to protect the startergenerator belt between this Pulley’s, this cover is on top of the Enginecover.

rawb1n
13 minutes ago, Tractorhead said:

That cover is just used on a Genny/Starter Combo.

There are different starter and Generator systems.

With a starter generator, a large pulley is on the Flywheel on top screwed and the starter generator is a bit aside the Enginecover.

to protect the startergenerator belt between this Pulley’s, this cover is on top of the Enginecover.

Ok! Thank you for that explanation! So I have some other starting mechanism? He wrote it has electric starter.

• Thanks 1

SPINJIM
3 hours ago, rawb1n said:

A diagonal belt cover on the left side of an engine is to cover the combination charger/starter motor.  Yours looks like the original engine was replaced with a newer Kohler K engine with the starter attached to the block, and a stator under the flywheel to charge the battery.

• Thanks 2

Pullstart

Welcome!  Nice Horse, I even like the color combo.  We hosted an Exchange Student from Oslo 3 years ago, some day we’ll make it there to visit Bastion and his family!  

This video shows what it takes to mount a newer style Wheel Horse tiller on that style frame.  The Commando 8 and my 502 “Putt Putt” is very much the same backbone.

• Thanks 1

jay bee

• Thanks 1

rawb1n
18 hours ago, pullstart said:

Welcome!  Nice Horse, I even like the color combo.  We hosted an Exchange Student from Oslo 3 years ago, some day we’ll make it there to visit Bastion and his family!  

This video shows what it takes to mount a newer style Wheel Horse tiller on that style frame.  The Commando 8 and my 502 “Putt Putt” is very much the same backbone.

Hey how cool! We live an hour outside of Oslo! Thanks for that video! Very informative and detailed.

I hope I can get hold of a tiller, but they are rare in Norway.

• Thanks 1