hotajax

Looking For Starter Rebuild Shop for Kohler K321-S Engine

hotajax

Evening.  My Horse is about 35 years old now, still on the original starter.  I'd like to find a shop that specializes in starter rebuilds.  Don't care where I have to ship it to, but I'd like it done right.  I'm not interested in getting an Asian knock-off, I just want to keep my original unit. Why? Because I know it fits my engine just fine.  Once I took it to the local starter/generator guy and all he tried to do was sell me an aftermarket version.   I bot one of those once, and all I heard was bendix teeth smashing into flywheel teeth.  Ouch. 

If you gents know of anyone that's really good with a tear down, cleaning, and repair, I'd be very interested.  Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

bc.gold
3 hours ago, hotajax said:

Evening.  My Horse is about 35 years old now, still on the original starter.  I'd like to find a shop that specializes in starter rebuilds.  Don't care where I have to ship it to, but I'd like it done right.  I'm not interested in getting an Asian knock-off, I just want to keep my original unit. Why? Because I know it fits my engine just fine.  Once I took it to the local starter/generator guy and all he tried to do was sell me an aftermarket version.   I bot one of those once, and all I heard was bendix teeth smashing into flywheel teeth.  Ouch. 

If you gents know of anyone that's really good with a tear down, cleaning, and repair, I'd be very interested.  Thanks in advance. 

Maybe the problem is the ring gear that keeps the Bendix from engaging properly.

ebinmaine

I've had an SG unit apart and also a Bendix type to put bushings in the ends.

I don't have the skills or tools to perform any electronic repairs though so I'll follow along and see if there is a place that comes up.

Achto

This is the guy that I use.

Martin Rebuilding Co

W5141 Buttercup Dr Wautoma, WI 54982-7920

(920) 566-2723

Do to his beliefs he does not have a web site or do much for advertising. His prices are fair & I have never had or heard of a bad experience with his work. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi

A lot of S/G repair places will not work on the small garden tractor starters, mine included.  He does great stuff on my starter generator units and the big tractor stuff but won't do small.. 

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

hotajax

Thanks.  appreciate the info, will give him a call.

• Like 1

edgro

My dad was a starter alt rebuilder, he is gone, but always spoke well of Floyds electrical in Grand Rapids (wyoming) michigan

• Like 1

hotajax
12 hours ago, edgro said:

My dad was a starter alt rebuilder, he is gone, but always spoke well of Floyds electrical in Grand Rapids (wyoming) michigan

Edgro:  Thanks.  I already shipped off to Martin's in Wisconsin.  One of the other members of this forum recommended him earlier today.  I spoke with him, he seemed like a straight up guy, and his reviews were perfect.  I'm sure your recommendation is good, too, but I didn't see it until late.  Thank you. 

hotajax
18 hours ago, Achto said:

Martin Rebuilding Co

(920) 566-2723

Do to his beliefs he does not have a web site or do much for advertising. His prices are fair & I have never had or heard of a bad experience with his work. 

ACHTO:  I called him, he seemed perfect for what I want to do.  Looked at his reviews on Google.  Weren't many, but the ones that were there are all as high as you could rate a business.  I already shipped my starter off to him, should be there the middle of next week.  I am a pretty good judge of character, and I got a good read on him.  So I felt safe secure about sending it to him.  Thanks a lot for the recommendation.  Hot Ajax  

PS:  When I told him I was from PA, he was curious about how I heard about him.  So I explained about Red Square and Wheel Horse guys.  Have a good weekend, the East is supposed to be great.  H A

Edited by hotajax
  • Excellent 1

hotajax
13 hours ago, edgro said:

Edgro:  I just noticed you're from Lansing.  That's the capitol, right? Your gov and her red lipstick are entertaining. 

• Haha 1

edgro
9 hours ago, hotajax said:

Edgro:  I just noticed you're from Lansing.  That's the capitol, right? Your gov and her red lipstick are entertaining. 

Yes

hotajax
On 6/12/2020 at 6:37 AM, Achto said:

Martin Rebuilding Co

(920) 566-2723

Acho:  I sent my starter out to him, he was real good to deal with   Charged me $50 to clean it all up and check it out.  Did some minor machining and replaced brushes.  Called me promptly.  Thanks a lot for the tip, couldn't be a better deal to get it fixed. 

• Excellent 2

Achto

:handgestures-thumbupright: Glad that you are happy with his service. Yet another happy reference.:)

hotajax

I am happy.  He said it did need some work, but not a whole lot, and soon, I will have my original starter back in pristine condition.

• Excellent 2

Bill D

I tried to start a thread where people could post recommendations for parts suppliers and services like this, but it got moved to other topics.  Could someone list this rebuilding shop there? Thanks.

• Like 1

hotajax
On 6/26/2020 at 3:59 PM, Bill D said:

I tried to start a thread where people could post recommendations for parts suppliers and services like this, but it got moved to other topics.  Could someone list this rebuilding shop there? Thanks.

BILL:  I'd be happy to put this guy's info where you want it.  What's the link for parts suppliers and repair shops?  He did a really good job.  This is exactly what I wanted - someone who would delve into the detail and get it straightened out.  Tell me where the info goes, and it's there. 

Bill D

That thread got put on page four of non tractor related discussion.  There is a link there to Wheel Horse supplier links.  If you could put it there that would be great.  Thanks.