joe veal

16-38 HXL 38" Mower Height?

joe veal

I recently purchased a 16-38 HXL. When I lower the deck past the B setting the deck is on the ground. Is there a way to adjust the height (transport height) on these mowers/tractors? Thank you in advance...

gwest_ca

Don't know but found some manuals. There is also a section in the service manual on the mowers. Links are with the operator manual.

Garry

joe veal

Thanx a bunch. Doesn't seem to have anything on adjusting the deck height - at least that I can find...

notlohdahc

Joe did you ever figure this out?  I am having the same issue.  My highest height is no where near the 4 inches the manual says it should be.  And my lowest height is flat on the ground.

On 6/7/2020 at 11:23 AM, joe veal said:

Thanx a bunch. Doesn't seem to have anything on adjusting the deck height - at least that I can find...

lynnmor
2 hours ago, notlohdahc said:

Joe did you ever figure this out?  I am having the same issue.  My highest height is no where near the 4 inches the manual says it should be.  And my lowest height is flat on the ground.

Download the manual: Link

0rnery
Posted (edited)

Same problem with 1996, 314-8 with 42" deck.  (Yes, I've downloaded manual.)  "'Dial-A-Height" is about 1/4" from highest position.  In transport position, deck has rear wheels in highest position, but still roll on the ground.  With lift lever lowered, front anti-scalp rollers actually roll on the ground.  This can't be right, it cuts the grass at about 1-1/2"'!  Almost tempted to cut the grass with deck in transport position, but that's about an inch too high.  

I suspect the chain that lifts the deck is incorrect, but no idea how it should be adjusted.  Same with the rest of the deck adjustments.  I think I could cobble this to work correctly in the transport position, but there must be a proper way to adjust it.  Is it a given, the deck wheels will be riding on the ground as long as the deck is mounted?  If so, that doesn't really seem right either.   Bottom line is, I want about 2-1/2" grass height when this is over.

TIA, John

Edit:  Just started wondering if lowering the deck would actually only be for pulling it off the tractor, despite what Owner(s) manual says?  Instructions say, "Move lift lever forward to lower attachment."  Well, that's pretty generic...  It applies to all "attachments".  Might not be correct for this deck?

Wheel_Horse_Deck04.JPEG

Edited by 0rnery