Sign in to follow this  
truckin88

C-120 brake issue

truckin88

My C-120 has been well used in the family for over 30 years, and there are some issues I need to resolve.

The brake pedal has little resistance and the parking brake does not engage. The tractor will stop with the brake and clutch pedal depressed. Any help would be great!

Sparky

The brake system has a pece of linkage that goes to the brake band with an adjustment nut on it at the brake band end. Have you tried to tighten it up at all? While your under the tractor make sure the brake band material is still there. On one of my tractors it fell right out.

Mike.....

Don1977

I have a 1977 C-120 that the parking brake hasn't worked in 15 years. You can put it on, but when you release the brake it won't stay engaged. I have looked at it but can't see anything wrong with it. I know the brake band has been changed don't know if it was the same as the original. The brake works great except for the parking brake.

gwgdog66

My 75 C-160 had the brake band worn to the point that it had to be tightend up to stop the tractor (Nut on the linkage) as Sparky described. When it was tigtened up it took the linkage past the point that the parking brake could be set. It stops just fine. Loosening it back off so the parking brake could be set and it will roll on me.

I've ordered a new brake band, and once installed and adjusted that should fix my problem.

I would imagine it may be the same thing with your C-120.

Stigian

This may sound like a daft question but are you pressing the brake pedal right down?

I had the same problem with my 312, ok brakes but no hand brake..

Then one day I went to get off the 'orse with my foot still on the brake and thought I really should put the hand brake on..

The little bit of extra pressure on the brake pedal was enough for the hand brake racket :drool: to click another notch..

The extra notch was enough and now, got a great hand brake :omg: