echris

Clean 310-8 for $450 - Seems like a great deal? Advice please.

echris

I'm about to purchase my first Wheel Horse! Way back in the 80's, my first job was at a Wheel Horse dealer and I fell in love with their rock solid simplicity. I even talked my Dad into buying a fully-loaded 416-8 back in the day. ;)

I found this local deal for a very clean looking 310-8. I'd rather a 4 series, but this one looks really good. And it seems like a great deal at $450, but I'm not really sure of the going rate these days. This would be in the Northeast if that matters.

What do you experts say?
Thanks!

wheel horse 1.jpg

wheel horse 2.jpg

wheel horse 3.jpg

Edited by echris
  • Like 7
  • Excellent 2

JCM

By looking at the pics it appears it has spent most of it's life under cover for the most part, I myself would spend 450.00 for that tractor if it runs, drives and is fairly tight. Good luck with your decision.

• Like 5

Sparky

$450 seems fair going by the pics. Obviously it needs to run good, working battery, tires holding air (or newer replacements :handgestures-thumbupright:),  have a solid deck with fairly quiet spindles, that’s all stuff you’ll need to check out

• Like 4

echris

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would classify this as a newer old 3 series. I'm going on the smaller front tires (I believe the early 3 series had large front tires) and the lack of the safety LED's on the dash panel which I believe the later ones had, like the 4 series. Is that correct?

Seller claims it starts and runs fine, mows like a dream. New blades and key switch.

I can do any repair on this machine if necessary. Love how easy they are to repair.

EDIT: Plus it lacks the Toro logos of the later models.

Thanks for helping!

Edited by echris
  • Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:

The 6" front tires were standard on the 310/312 models and the idiot lights didn't come on the 310. The maroon color decals would indicate '85 to 1990 ('85 and '86 had K series engines rather than Magnum so it is "87 or newer.), but age isn't as important as condition. If it runs and drives as good as it looks the $ 450 would be a great price.

• Like 1

JCM

300 series started in 1985. I had a 1986 312-8 that I sold that had 15x6.00 front rims. My 312-8 that I have had since 89 also has the same size fronts. I just recently picked up a 1989 310-8 and that one has only 1 idiot light, but the 89  312-8 has them all. Real nice model and very durable and dependable.

20191201_091320.jpg

P1012400.JPG

• Like 3

echris

Thanks for all the great info. Much appreciated! I'm really hoping I can snag this beauty!

Most of the Wheel Horse's I see local are what I call rattle can restorations. Poor spray paint jobs trying to make the old girl look better, which makes me suspicious at a higher price. This one looks all original. And the foot pads are intact!?!

Anybody have a guess at the deck size? I don't think it's wide enough to be a 48", so what, a 42"?

Also, any downside to the 10HP Magnum, vs the K series? I'd prefer a few more HP's, but she'll mostly be mowing and occasionally towing a cart or moving a log splitter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JCM

Looks like a 42'' SD deck. Both engine types are great and are a personal preference and in due time you like most of us will own both.      :happy-partydance:

• Haha 3

mopedrescue

Grab it.

It looks fairly original & not worked over.

I'm across the rive from you (Pomona,N.Y., Rockland County) and these are getting harder & harder to find unmolested.

Just picked up a nice one two weeks ago in Washintonville (original owner).

• Like 2

dcrage

That 10 hp Magnum will do everything you are wanting to do for years to come. I have 30 years into my 310-8. 

• Like 4
  • Heart 1

D_Mac

I had a 308-8 that I sold for 650 with the dump cart. I regret it to this day. I also live in NY and the Wheel Horse tractors around here even in bad condition bring higher numbers then what you might find in the mid west.

20190407_123014_resized.jpg

• Like 3

echris

I've really gotta get this tractor.

Imagine: Instead of procrastinating about pulling the deck because it involves 6-8 hitch clips all you have to do is lower the deck, loosen the mule drive, slip the belt off the pulley, push a button on the tach-o-matic to release the front mount, and slide the deck out.

It gives me goose bumps.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

D_Mac

Yes removing and attaching the deck takes just a couple of minutes. Plus those Magnum Engines are bullet proof. Added bonus is this Forum. The knowledge you will get from the people here can help you with any problem that may come up. They know these tractors inside and out and are happy to help. Buy the tractor and pay for a subscription here to Red Square cant go wrong !

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

Pollack Pete

Looks good to me.You'll be amazed what that little 10 horse can do.And……...it will sip fuel.Good luck.

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-yeahthat:

I have a 310-8 (1993) and have only done normal maintenance with no problems at all. Regular oil changes and lubrication will allow it to give you great service. Be sure to uses non-ethanol gas, that will save you a lot of headaches.     https://www.pure-gas.org/

• Like 3

RandyLittrell

I paid $450 for my 85 310-8 and haven't regretted a bit. Its my go to tractor. Go get it before someone else does!! 

KIMG0250.JPG

• Like 2

tom2p
On 6/3/2020 at 6:53 PM, echris said:

I'm about to purchase my first Wheel Horse! Way back in the 80's, my first job was at a Wheel Horse dealer and I fell in love with their rock solid simplicity. I even talked my Dad into buying a fully-loaded 416-8 back in the day. ;)

I found this local deal for a very clean looking 310-8. I'd rather a 4 series, but this one looks really good. And it seems like a great deal at $450, but I'm not really sure of the going rate these days. This would be in the Northeast if that matters.

What do you experts say?
Thanks!

wheel horse 1.jpg

wheel horse 2.jpg

wheel horse 3.jpg

the deck appears to be solid and in good shape (42" SD ?)

if this is the case - the deck alone is worth close to the asking price 

the rear tires / wheels and the deck - might be worth the asking price 

• Like 1

echris

Well, she's in her new home. Total cost ended up $300. Asking price was $450.

My nephew and a friend of his took me to pick it up. When we got there, he had a charger connected. Already suspicious....The seller apologized and said he showed it to someone yesterday and left the key on. Fair enough. He said the battery is only a year old, but he's pretty sure he killed it. I'm thinking, draining a year old battery a single time isn't likely to kill it, so not worried. Without me asking, he says, how about $400. Heh heh heh. Well, let me take her for a ride.

We jumped it off my nephews truck, starter is making a racket. Sounds like maybe a bad bearing in the starter.
I took it for a spin, checked the mower, steering is nice and tight, trans shifts very smooth, engine sounds great. All in all, I was very pleased. There's a few issues, but nothing that scared me away for $400.
Here's what she needs after mowing my front yard and spending an hour or two looking her over:
Engine and trans oil change

Shifter boot is torn. Don't want water getting into the trans. Oil is brown, so I suspect there already is a bit of water in there. Not milky though.

Full lube. Hasn't been done in a while. Clutch pedal squeaks, dead giveaway.

One spindle is a little bit noisy, hopefully just grease, if not, I'll rebuild all 3. Going to remove the deck and do a full inspection.

Starter, obviously. Hopefully cleaning and greasing the bearings will fix it, if not new starter.

If the battery doesn't take a charge overnight, new battery.

Seat springs are incorrect and much too light.

Seat gas shock broken. Not a big deal. Will replace eventually.

I had to adjust the PTO clutch a bit. Will tear down and inspect. Mows great though.
Headlight fuse blew while mowing at dusk. Have to get the wiring diagram and inspect.

All in all, I was smilliing like an idiot while mowing the yard. I am so happy to finally, finally own a Wheel Horse!
I had a patch in the back that was maybe a foot tall and taking half bites, full throttle, second gear and she barely struggled. This 10 HP Kohler has more power than my 2002 18HP v-twin Husqvarna. :happy-jumpyellow:

So, how did I get her for $300? I told my nephew (who just bought his first house) when I got in his truck, "I ain't paying you nothing for gas. Take my old tractor." lol
I also gave him my old 5500w Coleman generator. He gave me a $100 bill and refused to take it back.

So, total cost $300. HOME RUN!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

Pullstart

Did you warn your nephew, that likely won’t be the last trip you guys take to get a Wheel Horse?  :happy-bouncyred:

They’re fun... and addictive!

4E6CAC48-7B5F-4954-99BE-C912734010DD.jpeg

D75AF1B1-59C2-4F83-AAC9-3E6CC4B49744.jpeg

4F67979B-E9D5-411F-8E81-8438D64FAF0D.jpeg

6573FF9B-8A65-4E35-91AE-4C66265DB9E2.jpeg

2915D642-3D18-489C-85E2-DCCE0743F08A.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

echris

Nice, guess I'll be building a barn soon. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

953 nut
9 hours ago, echris said:

I was smilliing like an idiot while mowing the yard. I am so happy to finally, finally own a Wheel Horse!

:text-yeahthat:                            I resemble that remark!                        :laughing-rolling:

chip61

Good deal!! I have the same tractor, does a great job with the 42" deck. Can't beat the K series and Magnum Kohlers

• Like 1