Cee245

Sluggish mowing.

Cee245

Hey all, 

I mow with a 97 416H 800 hours or so and I noticed that it seems to struggle in higher grass. I'm not talking very high grass at all! Maybe after 4-5 days from previous mowing. I have new blades this year also. It's like the blades aren't moving fast enough. 

I go slow and it still seems to struggle giving a nice cut. I have adjusted the pto arm thing to tighten it with no luck on several occasions. 

It does make a sqeaking noise when I engage the pto. Any suggestions? 

I was thinking it may be a worn out clutch plate on the pto?  I see a new one is about $100!

Cory

Stepney

Could be a failing bearing in the PTO bell? Does it make noise while running constantly? 
Or just pull the clutch off the pto and look at the disc. If there's material, it should be fine. If it's more or less gone, then it's time for a new disc.. just have a look.

• Like 1

squonk

:text-yeahthat:and for the heck of it have you cleaned out the inside of the deck and checked the belt on the deck itself? 

• Like 2

Skwerl58

My 414-8 started doing the same as yours last year. It was the idler puley on the deck. Bearing was long gone and it was just flopping on the shaft. I dont know how it was mowing but the problem was solved with a new pulley and belt. NAPA belt and local repair shop for the pulley. 

• Like 1

horseyheaven

Check to see if mower deck fork is in rod.  If not, it will let belt slip.  It is between the attach a matic mounts.  If you look up under the frame you will see a rod between frame rails.  On front of deck carriage there is a fork that can rotate downward and miss the rod in frame when you install deck.  It must fit on rod.  I must have had my deck on and off 10 times prior and never noticed it.  Guess I got lucky and it always went back up in and fit over rod.  One day, it missed and I found out just how bad they can mow.  It might be worth checking.  When I t happens once, you will always check it.  Hope this helps.

Cee245

I do have the deck fork installed correctly.

I will check the belt and pto and report back. Thanks everyone!

• Like 1

chip61

I cut tall wet thick grass every week. I have to adjust belt tension on the pto belt every few weeks, and once the belt is worn to a certain point it will slip no matter how tight it is. Have your belts been replaced recently??

Cee245

I replaced the pto drive belt last year. I am ordering a new deck belt (1594) and going to check the tensioner and pulleys to see if the bearings are good.