Jdv007

Engine Issues

Jdv007

I have a 1972 Wheel Horse Raider 14. Today while mowing, the engine got hot, slowed down, and shut off. After letting it cool a bit I was able to start it up again, but decided not to mow for fear I might damage the engine. Does anyone have suggestions as to what might be causing this behavior?  A couple of days ago I mowed my lawn when the dandelions were in full seed and wonder if that the seed fluff could have gotten in the engine fins causing it to overheat. Seems far fetched but just a thought.

Thanks for your help.

Jim

• Like 3

JAinVA

You should look for build up of grass under the the head tin.I had a c120 catch fire because of this.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Jdv007

Hi Jim,

I pulled head cover off and it was clear as was the cooling fins on the head.  Someone suggested it may be a faulty coil, but not sure that would cause the engine to over heat???

ZXT
1 hour ago, Jdv007 said:

Hi Jim,

I pulled head cover off and it was clear as was the cooling fins on the head.  Someone suggested it may be a faulty coil, but not sure that would cause the engine to over heat???

What makes you think the engine got hot? With the tins and screen on the flywheel clear, there is no real reason it should get hot.. Certainly not hot enough to cause it to die.

Could be vapor lock, a fuel cap issue, or a coil issue as you mentioned. Is the fuel fresh or is it winter gas? I've had that issue in the Texas heat. Winter blend fuel boils a lot sooner. 

If it is full of oil, you shouldn't hurt it. Mow with it again, and if it dies, immediately check for spark. If it has spark, loosen the fuel cap. If that doesn't do it, check to see if the fuel is boiling. If it doesn't have spark, put a new internal resistor coil on it. 

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH
7 hours ago, ZXT said:

Could be vapor lock, a fuel cap issue,

I would start with this as the issue... make sure cap vent is open...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

:WRS:

Performing a good maintenance check may resolve your problem and should be done anyway. 

Fuel tank vent, as the engine is run the fuel level goes down, if there is no vent the tank will develop a slight vacuum and as the vacuum increases the fuel pump will not be able to overcome the vacuum and the engine will stop.

Fuel tank and lines, check the fuel tank to be sure it is clean inside. Check the fuel lines for signs of cracking, a small crack can allow air to enter and the fuel pump can't move air through the system. Use ethanol free gas, the ethanol will eat up fuel system components. .https://www.pure-gas.org/

Air filter, fuel filter and spark plugs are all service items that should be changed each season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

pacer
10 hours ago, Jdv007 said:

the engine got hot, slowed down, and shut off.

With this part of your problem described I would lean toward heat being the problem. To me that is a good description of seizing. In my many years I have had this happen more than once. Make doubly sure all the tin are cleared of chaff, especially the wrap around the block. You might get the flywheel cover off and find a rats nest.