Tcorr89

C-160 auto

Tcorr89

Hey, just picked up a clean c-160. Just curious what’s everyone’s opinion on replacement starter and solenoids. What should I look for?

ebinmaine

:text-welcomeconfetti:

We'd all love to see some pictures of your tractor. That's a highly desirable model!

Why do you think you need to replace a starter, or solenoid?

• Like 2

Tcorr89

I think it’s the starter. Picked it up today went to crank over and would start. Went to jump it and just click.new battery and same just click. Starter looks to be non original solenoid looks old. Would like to put new on. Any recommendations?

3348C769-F08F-411D-8558-9E3B3FF145CE.jpeg

E3D03D16-60C0-4DE4-BD06-8D752A8C4534.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Tcorr89

BEA0347B-BAF9-4743-9DDE-D4C14FB1DF71.jpeg

0E73FE34-C2D9-41A5-9508-EBFF20AD1594.jpeg

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Very nice looking ride!

I agree that the starter is not original.

I would say that you need to remove the starter, and the solenoid. Clean the mounting points of both.

Remember that these are DC electrical systems and you MUST have good grounds.

While you have the starter off you can bench test it. If it spins but does not let the Bendix come out, remove and clean it.

If the bench test is bad, call A to Z Tractor in Pennsylvania and get a good used OE Kohler starter.. Lincoln is a great guy. He'll take care of you.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

pacer

Yep, thats a NICE one - ranks right up at the top of most desireable horses!!

Yeah what Eric says, those connections are in dire need of a clean up. Thats a common solenoid and any parts place would have it. Clean conx first and if still has problem jumper direct from batt to starter, if works then jump across the solenoid, if that works then must be solenoid.

• Excellent 1

Tcorr89

Thanks guys ! Just a regular 3 point solenoid would work? Also everything I’m looking at stays a Koehler k341s replacement with 10 teeth on the starter. The one that was on there has 13. Anything wrong with that picture?

Edited by Tcorr89

ebinmaine
21 minutes ago, Tcorr89 said:

Thanks guys ! Just a regular 3 point solenoid would work? Also everything I’m looking at stays a Koehler k341s replacement with 10 teeth on the starter. The one that was on there has 13. Anything wrong with that picture?

if you have a half decent parts store you can tell them you want a starter solenoid for something like a 75 f150 and just make sure it has three terminals. That should work.

Not sure about the count on the teeth though....

lynnmor

Stay away from cheap imported starters, the suggestion of buying used is good if you can get original.

• Like 1

Pullstart

@Tcorr89 :text-welcomeconfetti:

The C-160 is a beast of a machine.  Get it running good and you’ll be in love with it!

• Like 1

troutbum70

As EB and Pacer stated clean all connections, do the jump test that Pacer stated and all fails then get with A to Z and get an old OEM. Have it rebuilt if needed and you will good for a long long time, and the solenoid is a standard ford available at any good parts store.  

Sailman

One other thing to consider. I have a C-120 that turned over too slow to start. Battery was good so I jumped battery to starter and it fired right up. Went to my local battery guy for a solenoid and he said to check the small wire going to the solenoid (goes to the key I think). Sure enough it was bad in one spot. Fixed that and it has fired up just fine.