Sign in to follow this  
Jman6

Question for the experts

Jman6

I have a 1990 312-8 toro wheel horse. About a week ago I was using the roto-tiller attachment. I noticed it was bogging down and the only way I could keep it running was to pull the choke out. Not all the way just half way. So I changed the plug, put a new air filter in and filled her up with some premium fuel...Now it won't start. I took the fuel pump off and still nothing. In fact the gas is not filling up in the line coming from the fuel tank...I am guessing that either the fuel line is clogged or the fuel pump has quit working.

Any other ideas? Like would a clogged float in the carb cause the gas to not pump in from the fuel tank?

Thanks, in advance.

Jman

Jim_M

I'm no expert but I would replace the fuel line. I't possible it's collapsed inside. Blow back through the line to see if the shutoff valve may be plugged with debris.

While you're replacing the line add an inline fuel filter.

wheel horse 1045

check the filter in the bottom of the gas tank,mine went bad with **** from the bottom once.

Prater

Had the same problem, it was the inline fuel filter. Replaced it and everything went back to normal.

buckrancher

did someone pull a fast one on you and close the fuel shutoff valve

on the bottom of the tank? :omg:

oldandred

jman take the fuel line off at the carb and crank she over be sure to hold a small can or bucket to the gas line if no gas do like the others said check the lines if there not blocked then you may just need a pump with the line off the pump coming from the tank try to blow into the gas tank yes I now you need a big mouth for that but it can be done if you cant blow though the gas line then something has blocked the gas line

hodge

Mine did the same thing. I did not have a fuel filter on mine. I put a filter on, and took the carb off/apart and cleaned it good. I blew air in all the holes, and cleaned it well with carb cleaner. It runs like a new tractor now. Having to run it with the choke is your indicator that it is struggling to get fuel. Either the pump isn't working, the filter/fuel line is clogged, or the jets in the carb are clogged. So, the best thing is to go from the tank to the carb, and take care of all of it.