D_Mac

Lambert / Farm-Ette 655 Need all the help I can get.

SylvanLakeWH
33 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

I dont see any like this one with the closed end. Maybe I will just get two push nuts to hold wheel on and use one from the wheel for the other one on top.

You do not need a closed end for them to function. The side set screw does all the "work". None of mine have a closed end.

IMG_0537.JPG

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

D_Mac

Well struck out again. Went to the local hardware store to try to find some I struck out on everything. They didnt have any of those shaft collars, they didnt have and chain, and they didnt have a lug nut as I am missing one. Suprised me because this is one of those old school hardware stores that generally has everything. So I went to NAPA to see if they had at least the lug nut ... nope. Tomorrows another day ! I did manage to sand the hood and look what I found under the old STP sticker

20200514_143452.jpg

Edited by D_Mac
  • Like 5

SylvanLakeWH

I got mine at Tractor Supply, but you can get them online all over the place... Pretty cheap...

• Thanks 1

D_Mac

Maybe I will go there. I dont remember seeing a parts counter at our tractor supply. Maybe they will have everything I need there.

ebinmaine

No parts counter at the ones I have either. You have to bring an example of whatever you want and ask to speak to one of their intelligent humans.

• Haha 1

SylvanLakeWH

I called ahead and confirmed availability. They don't have a "parts" counter at ours either...

953 nut
4 hours ago, D_Mac said:

went to NAPA to see if they had at least the lug nut ... nope.

Any auto salvage place will have buckets full of lug nuts for next to nothing. If you are lucky they will be sorted by size.

D_Mac
16 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Any auto salvage place will have buckets full of lug nuts for next to nothing. If you are lucky they will be sorted by size.

Umm its not a lug nut its a lug bolt, maybe I misspoke. It threads into the hub 1 1/4 7/16s 20 fine thread. Now i am debating if I should even paint it.... ugh. Maybe just clear coat it.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

Umm its not a lug nut its a lug bolt, maybe I misspoke. It threads into the hub 1 1/4 7/16s 20 fine thread. Now i am debating if I should even paint it.... ugh. Maybe just clear coat it.

Might be same as a horse lug bolt.

If so I've a got a bunch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

D_Mac

Working on those tires EB . Every time I ask him to send me a photo or ask him how much he wants for them I dont get an answer. I believe they are Firestone Town and Country Turf Tires 6 x 12. That is what was on mine and he said his were same tire. He said he also has an AG tire but I have no clue as to what size or what they are. He has been grinding and painting my rims. Maybe if I go to Tractor Supply tomorrow I can go by his yard to see exactly what they are.

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

Firestone Town and Country Turf Tires 6 x 12.

Procure ALL you can.

There'll be demand for those.

D_Mac

Working on it. Wonder what it cost to mail out a pair of those. I told him to figure out a price and I would pass it on that way he could take CC and have the company ship. I will find out one way or another ..... I am just happy to get mine !!! I just looked them up... they aint cheap. To bad no show this year I could have just loaded them up and took them there.

Edited by D_Mac

953 nut
11 hours ago, D_Mac said:

Now i am debating if I should even paint it.... ugh.

One of my 953s has been aged to perfection, there is no way it will ever be painted while I'm alive.

862051076_953newseat010.JPG.adffe013982bb219bec373c59d427524.JPG

• Like 4

WHX??

Nice seat! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

D_Mac

Well I finally got him to send me photos of the progress on my tires and wheels. Took the tires and wheels to my Nieces husband business. He told me he had some tires for the rears and I ordered a pair for the front. He said he give me the rears, and mentioned he wanted to get rid of all this tires. I told him I am interested but have yet to get a number from him. Im working on it. Anyways here they are, he still is working on the front as the rims were in bad shape. He gonna try to get tubes for them. I wanted to paint them white but all they had was black. So he painted them black. They are still pitted and it shows through the paint but they look way better and I didnt have to do it ! So hope fully I get them back soon with a price on the tires.

imagejpeg_0(1).jpg

Resized_20200515_093935.jpeg

imagejpeg_0(2).jpg

imagejpeg_1(1).jpg

imagejpeg_2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

D_Mac

Ummm I just noticed I think he has them mounted backwards.

• Haha 1

D_Mac

Ordered new chain, and those shaft collars off the old internet. Couldnt find the closed end kind so I got the open ended ones. I am not sure what I need for the front end besides new tie rod ends. The spindles slide into the ends on the axle. I think I need some kind of bushings or washers. I am not sure what they are all called or wear to get them. The shaft size is 7/8ths. Washer and bushing on top and bottom? Put a coat of primer on the frame today. Would like to get the front end assembled so I can put it on the ground when the wheels are ready.

20200515_131537.jpg

• Like 4

D_Mac

Well I went to pick up my tires and wheels. Im happy with them. I couldnt beat the price ! He gave me 2 pair to sell. The one pair is the same set I got for the rears. Firestone Town & Country 6 x 12 M/S and the other pair are Interurban 78 6 x 12 M/S. Tires are NOS. Not exactly sure how old I didnt ask, other then being dirty there is nothing wrong with them. Not sure what they are worth or even how to ship them. Thoughts? First 3 photos are my tires. You can use my set of Firestones so what they look like cleaned up. The photos after are they extra sets he gave me to show. They are dirty as they have been sitting in storage a number of years. Forth and fifth pic is the Interurban's Six and seven are Firestone. My understanding is Interurban is Firestone as well.

20200515_152942.jpg

20200515_152950.jpg

20200515_153500.jpg

20200515_153840.jpg

20200515_153847.jpg

20200515_153855.jpg

20200515_153901.jpg

Edited by D_Mac
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

D_Mac

Laid some paint down on the frame this AM . I suck at this.

20200516_090749.jpg

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Looks fine from here.

Light layers is important.

• Like 1

D_Mac

After I put some paint down on the frame I headed out to Tractor Supply to look for the wheel bolt and the shaft collar. No luck on the wheel bolt and like a dummy I grabbed the wrong size collars. Thats what happens when you get old and dont write it down. Tractor Supply is like 20 mins away so I guess I will keep them for now. After that my cousin called and said he could work on the hood for me and come get the engine he was donating. At some point in the Lamberts life time someone cut a section off the side of hood and looked like what appeared to be a bullet hole on the other side. So I loaded up the truck with the body parts and off I went. The engine has been sitting in his garage for 15+ years. 8hp Briggs. Hope it is going to fit under the hood and I can get pulley for the shaft. I brought all 4 body parts. He patched the holes and welded the corners on the hood. He pounded and smoothed out a pretty good dent on one of the rear fenders. He made two side covers that were missing on the body-dash . In the old photo you can see where it was cut and where the missing panel should have been. I didnt want to set the engine on the fresh paint yet to see what Im working with. This engine is a little taller then the one I took out. The gas tank that was on the tractor was a metal tank that mounted on the underside of the hood. Would like to find another on, looked on ebay but didnt see any.  Now I can get the rest of it in primer and try to find some bushings and tie rod links for front axle. Thats giving me some trouble. Need to get it off the jack so I can roll it.

20200501_202023.jpg

20200516_200412.jpg

20200516_200526.jpg

20200516_200432.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

SylvanLakeWH

Making good progress!

Maybe give Lowell at Wheel Horse Parts & More a call... he might be able to set you up with your steering parts... he’s a vendor on this site...

https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/

D_Mac

OK guys here is where I am going to need some help. I placed the engine on the frame and grabbed the hood to see if it was going to fit and it dosnt. With the gas tank on it is to tall. Is there a way I can rig up a fuel pump so I can place the gas tank where the battery was. This engine has no electric start and cant run lights or anything. Does the fuel pump run with a vacuume? Is there any way to put a fuel pump on this engine? Briggs 8 hp has the updraft carb. Or am I forced to mount the gas tank on the side of the hood like it is on the Speedanza. Or look for smaller engine. Perhaps a Harbor Freight special.

953 nut
6 hours ago, D_Mac said:

Does the fuel pump run with a vacuume? Is there any way to put a fuel pump on this engine?

A vacuum fuel pump will do the trick. just need to connect a rubber hose to the crankcase so the pulsations caused by the piston going up and down will cause the pump to pulse.  You can get one for about $ 10.00.

Gas Vacuum Fuel Pump for Kohler 17-25 HP Small Engine Lawn Mower ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

D_Mac

Not sure I am comfortable with drilling into a crank case. Looks like I need to drill something though. I looked up the specs on the 6.5 hp Predator engine. It says it has about a 2.5 inch length shaft. I measured the shaft on the original engine and its 3 inches.  So to keep the pulleys lined up i would need to drill out some new holes in the frame to mount the engine a little more to the right. So I think my choices are drill holes in the hood and make up a mount and mount it on the side of the hood. Drill into the crank case and mount a pump and install the gas tank where the battery was. I am undecided. Not sure what would be best option. There is another option but I think its the most expensive. I was looking at the original engine, it has compression, but it most likely will need a new carb, the gas tank was like swiss cheese I looked online for another and no luck. Then I would need to mount a new one somewhere, maybe new points.. ect. It does have electric start but I dont even know if it works. Has these glass fuses mounted on the engine, I never seen anything like that before. The pull start needs rebuilding. So thats why I am not even considering it < kinda > 

20200517_121833.jpg

20200517_172529.jpg

Edited by D_Mac