bc.gold

John Deere 111

bc.gold

Picking up the repulsion induction motor this afternoon discovered this gem sitting in the bush, considering the current resting p[lace it's in beautiful condition. Was parked over in-operational electric PTO.

The mower will be mine once I find a coil for an older 16 HP Briggs opposed twin on 116 Deere mower the owner wants to get running again.

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 4

D_Mac

They are a nice tractor. I had one I picked up pretty cheap. I went through it and gave it a pretty good spray paint job came out nice. Here is a before and after.

00J0J_ksI7UiALMci_600x450.jpeg

20140428_175148.jpg

• Like 4

Stepney

I mowed 12 yards with a 116 twin for three years. It was no 'tractor' to be sure but it was very reliable and a well built riding mower. Key shift tranny and twin pedals made it really easy to shift on the fly. I rebuilt the transmission and filled it with 600w Ford oil. Never seemed to bother it. Still going strong today. 

• Like 2

bc.gold
30 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

They are a nice tractor. I had one I picked up pretty cheap. I went through it and gave it a pretty good spray paint job came out nice. Here is a before and after.

00J0J_ksI7UiALMci_600x450.jpeg

20140428_175148.jpg

Your Deere looks very nice, the one i found in the weeds is not a hydro, and it;s missing the front rims and tires.

If the magnetic PTO is burned out I would like to try my hand at rewiring the coil, winding the coil is the easy part but finding the proper potting resin might be an issue.

• Thanks 1

oliver2-44

I mowed 2 acres for about 20 years with a JD 116.  As you say, not a tractor, but a good mower.  I may have a used coil in a box of JD stuff I have left from it.  Send me a PM and a picture if you don't get that one working  

• Thanks 1

bc.gold
1 hour ago, oliver2-44 said:

I mowed 2 acres for about 20 years with a JD 116.  As you say, not a tractor, but a good mower.  I may have a used coil in a box of JD stuff I have left from it.  Send me a PM and a picture if you don't get that one working  

I'll head over to Matt's tomorrow and take some pictures,  the mower is tucked away in an unlighted building, when we looked at the mower this afternoon the top of the engine was totally covered in flax seed.

I believe he has the old coil inside the house, i'll grab a picture of it also.

Is there a way to bench test the magneto coil.

Edited by bcgold

T-Mo

The John Deere was part of a line of lawn tractors that included the 8 hp 108, the 12.5 hp 112L, and the 16 hp 116.  The 108 and 111 were made from 1979 to 1985, while the 116 was made from 1982 to 1985 and the 112L was an one year only tractor, 1985.  The 111 first came out with a 5 speed gear drive transmission, manual pto, and fuel tank under the hood.  In 1980, Deere replaced the manual pto with an electric one, and in 1982, Deere moved the fuel tank from underneath the hood to underneath the fender pan.  Also, in 1982, Deere introduced the 111H, which was the hydrostatic drive version while still making the gear drive 111.

Attachments was a snow blower and snow blade, and you could get 42 lb weights to mount on the back of the tractor.  They were a very good lawn tractor, but they were not a garden tractor as mentioned.  I had two 111s, a 108, and a 112L at one time.

• Like 2