Sign in to follow this  
Docwheelhorse

Picked Up Another One.......

Docwheelhorse

Hello All,

today I got a call from an 85 year old gentleman that use to be the local butcher in the town I grew up in. He knew my family and my dad and he had actually called my parents looking for my phone number. He asked my dad if I still was "playing" with lawn mowers and my dad told him yes and gave him my number. Well I graciously took his running and driving 877 which is in very good shape. It does have a few "mods" on it from years of loving use---I.E. the original steering wheel broke and it was replaced with a Toro two spoke one from the late 70's. One rear tire was changed out, the seat is junk and the front tach-a-matic was worn through and welded. Other than that and some worn linkages etc... it really runs out strong. It turns out that the local Wheel Horse dealer had gotten this unit in as his first Hydro and put it on display in the front lobby of our towns bank!! :( The 85 year old guy (Frank) wanted the unit and went to the dealer, the dealer said he couldn't buy it until it had been on display for 30 days. 30 days came and went and Frank bought it, 42+ years later and its now mine. I spent a couple of hours chatting with Frank about his service in WWII (7th Armor division), the tractor, his 81 years living in South Windsor--his father bought a farm and moved the family there when Frank was 4, and his life in general. If any of you get a chance to sit down and chat with some folks from the WWII generation take your chance while you still can. These are some of the most interesting and hardest working people I know. Tom Brokaw was right that they where the greatest generation! :drool:

Thanks Frank!! :omg:

Tony

P.S.---What Besides a Wheel Horse would still be running and driving and ready to cut the grass 42 years after it was made!!! :drool:

Duff

Tony, great story and acquisition!

Now you know the drill....... :drool:

Duff :omg:

Docwheelhorse

Pics will be posted tommorow!!!!

Tony

TJ

looking forward to the pictures. Great story. :omg: