Sign in to follow this  
gottabcb

Need advice

gottabcb

So, I'm here looking for advice. :drool:

Aw crap, lost the whole post, and it was long and descriptive and well worded... grr... :omg:

Ok, here goes again...

I moved into a home with an acre or so that needs to be mowed now that it's getting warmer. I only have a crappy 8hp mower and I'm not going to mow that much grass with a push mower during a Virginia summer (yes, I'm a wuss, I grew up in the pleasant weather of northern Idaho).

I've been looking for a used riding mower and have found several options within my budget, but the only one I've found that seems to be a proper investment is a 1968 Wheel Horse Electro 12.

The wife doesn't care what I get as long as it mows and can bag the leaves when the trees shed in the winter, but she wants to be able to drive it too (she's as much of a toy geek as I am). What I really want is something that's durable and doesn't have an unserviceable sealed back end (very lame all you cheapo manufacturers, you know who you are!). In my budget range that's hard to find.

I've never driven a riding mower other than fairly late model Craftsman or MTD stuff my parents have had. How is the old Wheel Horse to steer, adjust the deck, etc. compared to something more recent? Can a 90lb woman handle it? Also, where would I find an adapter to connect a generic bagger tube to the deck discharge chute? I understand that with such an old deck the airflow isn't as good as a newer one, so has anyone ever tried using a more modern deck on one of these old tractors?

Thanks!

wheel horse 1045

well my wife uses my wheelhorses all the time and the great thing about them are the older ones like you mentioned can be converted to use a newer style deck,they maid hardware for that but you have to find it.

jtmoyer

i had an older craftsman and the 520 with the loader steered easier. if you want to drive to indiana i have a 312 and a tow behind mow and vac from agri fab i will make you a deal on :drool: . i finally found a wheel horse vac bagger that was not in the north east. you may be able to find one around there with a bagger. i know of a lot of members that use something else to mow with :omg: i would see if there is a member close to you and take your wife over and let her drive theirs and see if she can handle it.

catman81056

What kind of terrrain do you have to mow? You have to remember that the Kohler engine on the Electro 12 has a "splash type" lubracation system, prolonged use on certain grades could be a factor. This is just an FYI so you can take precautions.

The Electro is a good tractor, be sure to check the hose's and lift valve for leaks as they can be sort of expensive to replace.

If you go here;

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro

Type in your mod# 1-7235 and you can see all the attachments availble at the time it was made, you can also see all the specs of your tractor.

For a parts breakdown, go here;

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=toro_consumer

type in the mod# and you will be able to see the parts breakdown.

Good luck with the Electro, you have chosen well, its very existance is a testament to its durability. :omg:

gottabcb

Thanks catman81056, those are excellent links.

Also thanks the rest of you, that's the kind of info I am looking for.

can whlvr

Hi gottabcb and welcome to red square,i think when you choose a tractor you need to consider how much you want to repair or restore,older tractors usually need some work or you have to find a machine that has been looked after even wheelhorses can and do break down,i have a 300 series and a 400 series and a green lawn tractor that is almost new,I think it is worth the money to get awheelhorse than a cheap tin tractor,for about half the price,maybe even less than half !!!!just my two cents don.