ebinmaine

How do you reduce/eliminate back glare in a welding hood?

ebinmaine

One of the things I've dealt with all my life is that my eyes are slower than normal to adjust from light to dark.

It also effects me by causing any glare to be an issue.

My welding bench is now and for the foreseeable future, outside. Sunlight glare from overhead is ahhh... Challenging.

I do plan to put a cover of some sort over the area but wondered what you folks do to slow down the sun beams from making too much light inside the helmet.

oldlineman

I drape an old rage over the back of my head, gets a little warm sometimes and keep it out of the ark area or you know what happens.  :happy-bouncyredfire:

• Like 1

wallfish
55 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I do plan to put a cover of some sort over the area but wondered what you folks do to slow down the sun beams from making too much light inside the helmet.

Only weld on cloudy days :teasing-poke:

Walk around to the other side of the piece you're welding. :teasing-poke:

You can hold up a sun screen while Trina welds :teasing-poke:

You'll need to find a way to block it

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, wallfish said:

You can hold up a sun screen while Trina welds

I'm ok with that

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

peter lena

always wore side curve dark safety glasses under my hood , working in a maintenance /  weld shop , you were constantly in someones,s flash zone. amazing  , today you see car build up shows, with everyone casually tacking and welding with no eye protection at all !  as we all know your eyes change with time , protect them without hesitation , pete

• Like 3

Pullstart

I guess I just have a fat head... the light doesn’t bother me much :ROTF:

• Haha 2

SylvanLakeWH
3 hours ago, wallfish said:

Only weld on cloudy days :teasing-poke:

Walk around to the other side of the piece you're welding. :teasing-poke:

You can hold up a sun screen while Trina welds :teasing-poke:

You'll need to find a way to block it

You could also:

weld only during a full eclipse...

weld at night...

Close your eyes...

:twocents-02cents:

Just trying to expand your options. :thumbs:

:ychain:

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

during a full eclipse

I like that one...

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine

I found a thing that is available in Australia and also a similar piece that is available from Miller here in the US. They are basically sheets of flame resistant cloth that attach to the back of the helmet and drape over your shoulders and neck.

I think I'll take an old hooded sweatshirt that is made from cotton and see if I can modify that and have Trina or her mom sew it up.

I could try to sew it but it would look more like a bird's nest.

peter lena

i had a  DOUBLE VISION EYE ISSUE   about 6 months ago , my left eye  was  suddenly very glairy and affecting my balance and vision. immediately went to the doctor , for verification of problem. obviously he had seen this before , "   as you age things happen and if you are lucky you will recover from it ". it was the transition of change that was most bothersome , dr said , you have the result of a small stroke , surprisingly ,its quite common. he was right , regular return dr visits  , showed changes back toward normal , took about 5-6  months but steadily my eye issues  have disappeared ! no more balance problems , no eye shadows , no night driving glare problems , i did do a lot of "  eye related exercises , that were difficult to start and activate ". having regularly gotten after anything that has affected me , is the best choice . the positive outlook to correct an issue , rather than collect them , will let you live on , that's what i want to do , 20-20 , pete     

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, peter lena said:

correct an issue

Agreed. Glad to hear you're feeling better.

• Thanks 1

tom2p

Pete - great to read you have bounced back  ;  no doubt good living and Wheel Horse therapy contributed !

eb - maybe when the leaves reappear you will have more areas to weld with reduced glare ?

regardless - keep up the great work !

troutbum70

I have an electronic helmet stays pretty clear until you make the first arch, instantly darkens to what ever level you pre set. Light from behind does not both at all, love the helmet as compared to older helmets. I also had a mini stroke that I never knew I had until an issue arose with my right eye, Took about a year for the eye issue to clear up.