formariz

My vice (more vises)

CCW

As a former tech ed teacher I am fascinated by tooling and this ranks right up there.  As well as the vice combo being fascinating I first thought you are a luthier, but then realized you are building a custom plane.  Nice,

formariz
33 minutes ago, CCW said:

As a former tech ed teacher I am fascinated by tooling and this ranks right up there.  As well as the vice combo being fascinating I first thought you are a luthier, but then realized you are building a custom plane.  Nice,

Thank you.One of a "few"

IMG_3753.JPG.746792244d13c111eb94a713eaf02ad8.JPG

IMG_3757.JPG.5ff141e2109163df765dbc2be3ed3dda.JPG

IMG_3756.JPG.3919cc79247b788a4073d6738eb4af17.JPG

Edited by formariz
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

CCW

Who do you make these for?  I would not have thought there would be that big a demand.

The Tuul Crib

Very nice planes as well as the vise!!

formariz
5 hours ago, CCW said:

Who do you make these for?  I would not have thought there would be that big a demand.

I have made hundreds of planes of all types. Back when Garrett Wade in NYC was the premier woodworking tool store in the Northeast I used to make planes for them. Somewhere here I still have a catalogue with one model in it. This particular plane happens to me my " trade mark " plane. People still request them and I enjoy making them.I also give a lot of them away. I am probably the last of a handful of people that makes this many planes or makes them at all. Its part of my heritage and I feel its my responsibility to do it for as long as I can. This particular one is fashioned after a family tool that incredibly has recesses worn into the wood from generations of users hands . My father worked with it since a young age and remembers his grandfather saying the same about it.

IMG_3758.JPG.3f9904e1f5dfaf9e7e976eece8fc07c1.JPG

Edited by formariz
  • Like 1
  • Heart 2

yogdenyn

Do you use this wooden tool to level the surface of the tree? Or why?

Edited by yogdenyn

formariz
15 hours ago, yogdenyn said:

Do you use this wooden tool to level the surface of the tree? Or why?

Yes it is used to prepare lumber to its finished stage,. Its used as a scrub or jack plane depending on iron used.

formariz
16 hours ago, Chaintop said:

I would like to find where you can buy such a cool tool. Of course, up to this point, I have not worked with the wood in any way yet. But I am sure it is never too late to learn how to process wood efficiently and well. Can you suggest a good guide or maybe a book? Because I probably won't be able to learn just working with wood.

Anyone can learn how to work with wood. The most important thing always is to just start and do it. Even in very early stages with all the difficulties, people find it really satisfying and fulfilling. In today's world, instruction and or ideas are relatively easy to come by just by going on line specially u Tube. One can just type a particular project's name or idea and sure enough many videos on it will come up. Many woodworking books are also available . Anything published in the early to mid 1900s will be superior to more recent publications.To start very few tools are needed, hand tools being the essential starters "kit". They are also readily available specially at flea markets and antique shops, were one finds old tools of good quality, vastly superior to anything made today. That will be specially so, there in the UK since most superior woodworking tools, specially edge tools were and are still produced today. Start with basics just learning everything about the tools and how they work and how to sharpen, and maintain them. that will motivate you as you learn and automatically teach you other things as you become more adept at it. One can look at someone else's work for inspiration or motivation but should never be intimidated by it. Many do that and give up saying to themselves " I can never do that". Rather than think that way look at it as a book that you read and learn from it .It is a process that just needs practice.Of course not everyone has the same set of talents but anybody can do it to a pretty high standard. Some of the most talented woodworkers I have known did not do it for a living or were professionals at it. They were just individuals that did it as a hobby and found great joy at it without worrying about how quickly they could do something or how much they could sell something for. Should you have any specific questions  I will be always happy to answer them.

DennisThornton

I'm trying to catch up....  hard.  Saw this and knew it was interesting.  Is!  Thought I wound comment but I find myself speechless.  Doesn't happen often...