Sign in to follow this  
Model 51

Kohler 14 hp start up problem

Model 51

I have a 14 hp kohler on a gt-14. When trying to start it, it wont turn over, only clicking can be heard from the solenoid, and the the negative battery cable starts to get real warm/hot.

Could it possibly be the ignition coil?

pfrederi

Clicking solenoid is not getting enough current to it, or through it to spin the starter. Has nothing to do with the coil. Hot battery terminal usually means excessive resistance.

Check all connections and heavy wires from + term to solenoid to starter motor. Also make sure the - wire on the battery has clean post/terminal and a good ground to the tractor frame

Brrly1

Hello Model 51, Check all your grounds, make sure everything is tight. Clean the battery posts. Turning the motor over will not have a thing to do with your coil. Have you had the motor started before this problem? Has the starter been removed to your knowledge? Starter might be burnt up is one possibility but probly doubtful. Make sure the battery has a full charge. I am not sure what solenoid you have but you can jump past it. There should be two bolts sticking out thru the solenoid on each side of it. One lead goes to the battery and the other main lead runs to the starter. Ok now, you would want to take like a pair of pliers and put it up to the terminals on each side of the solenoid and touch the two posts. At that point it should turn the motor over. Might just want to replace the solenoid as it would be the cheapest way to start. I believe if the motor then turns over the solenoid would be the culprit. Good Luck See Ya, Bye Burly

:omg: Boy Howd, I just hope I didn't confuse you. I don't always write replys because there are way two many smart people here that won't add the confusion!

I hope this Helps!

linen beige

I'm not sure that in this case a hot battery cable means too much electrical resistance. It may mean too much mechanical resistance, ie. load. This sounds like either the starter is binding or the engine is too tight for the starter to turn, resulting in too much current draw from the battery.

A little troubleshooting is in order. As Burly said, clean all of the appropriate electrical connections and charge the battery. If it still just clicks and heats the cable jumper between the large lugs of the solinoid (this effectively removes the solinoid from the circuit and see if the starter turns the engine over. If it does then the solinoid is your culprit. If the engine still does not turn over, or turns too slow and the cable still gets hot you need to check the starter motor for excessive binding. Remove it from the engine and bench test it. If it turns freely and the drive gear engages (I'm assuming it's a "Bendix" type drive) there is a problem with the engine itself. If it still does not turn freely or the drive does not engage have it rebuilt or replace it.

At any rate, let us know what you find.

Model 51

I ll try everything suggested. It ran last summer. It has good engine in that it runs well and doesn't smoke at all. THe tractor itself is in really good shape for a 72. Electrical wise its a wreck. Lots of wires all up and over and under the dash.

This is the one that my son and I rebuilt the rear end on in last summer.

One other thing though......if I leave negative battery connected to the battery overnight, the next day the battery is dead......regardless of the fact that technically without the key in it ....its off.............ignition switch?

and I did replace the solenoid.....same thing ,,,,,,click, click

Model 51

Well I messed around with this old engine and noticed that the starter itself is warm to the touch. I pulled the starter and plan on testing it tomorrow. It looks older than dirt. the engine does spin freely by hand so I think the engine is ok. How do you "bench test" a starter?

linen beige

It does sound a bit more like the starter is dragging. That could be from worn brushes, a worn commutator, a weakened drive engagement, or even plain old dirt. strap it down to your bench so it doesn't jump off and crush your toes. Apply power to the terminals and read the voltage and amperage required to turn it. It shouldn't take hardly any amps to turn this thing with no load on it. Also make sure the drive is engaging and disengaging smoothly.

If you see any signs that it is not working right with no load on it either replace it or have it rebuilt.

The battery drainage may be caused by internal corrosion of the starter motor or fom a short in the motor windings. Windings can be tested with a meter by comparing continuity readings, but I'm drawing a blank on the details right now. My Kohler service manual gives general instructions on rebuilding starter motors but NO details on troubleshooting. :omg: