c-series don

Oil change thoughts?

c-series don

So I, like many of us have a little extra time on my hands. I’ve got several tractors that have been sitting for quite a while. I’m thinking about dumping the oil cold without starting them. My thoughts are the oil is definitely in the bottom of the sump the tractors are in my basement where it’s 60 degrees so the oil isn’t terribly cold. I’d like to dump it, then add some oil while the plug is out till I see the new oil come out. Then add new oil. Basically not getting the oil hot before changing. Thoughts? 

ebinmaine

While I agree hot is best I've had decent luck letting them sit overnight with the plug out.

You'll get as much old oil as possible out I think.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-yeahthat:

I always drain mine very hot...gets all the oil and crud out...

But...

Can’t run them in the basement...

So drip dry overnight...

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

c-series don

I usually run them out of fuel once I get them in the basement while fogging them out with marvel mystery oil. So as you can imagine the start up makes A LOT OF SMOKE. So as you can also imagine this makes for a not so happy wife when the house smells and the CO2 detectors are going off!! 😂😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, c-series don said:

I usually run them out of fuel once I get them in the basement while fogging them out with marvel mystery oil. So as you can imagine the start up makes A LOT OF SMOKE. So as you can also imagine this makes for a not so happy wife when the house smells and the CO2 detectors are going off!! 😂😜

Not a great idea to disconnect the power to the detectors and start the tractors....?

What could possibly go wrong???

• Haha 2

oliver2-44
25 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

I always drain mine very hot...gets all the oil and crud out...

But...

Can’t run them in the basement...

So drip dry overnight...

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

troutbum70

My way on oil drain is to reduce the psi on my air compressor to 5 or 6 pounds and put air down fill tube, I get a lot of extra oil out that way. Do the same with the vehicles and also done my big truck same way when I had it, always hated having dirty oil left in to contaminate new oil. Always used very low pressure as to not damage any seals, same thing with differentials and tranny's.

• Like 1

c-series don
55 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Not a great idea to disconnect the power to the detectors and start the tractors....?

What could possibly go wrong???

I’ll tell you what could go wrong Eric. I would space out and forget to plug them back in! Then something could happen and as a volunteer firefighter for 30+ years I could look like an idiot. Lord knows I don’t need help with that!😜😂

• Haha 4

tom2p
3 hours ago, c-series don said:

So I, like many of us have a little extra time on my hands. I’ve got several tractors that have been sitting for quite a while. I’m thinking about dumping the oil cold without starting them. My thoughts are the oil is definitely in the bottom of the sump the tractors are in my basement where it’s 60 degrees so the oil isn’t terribly cold. I’d like to dump it, then add some oil while the plug is out till I see the new oil come out. Then add new oil. Basically not getting the oil hot before changing. Thoughts? 

I do this frequently - almost always 

been doing this for decades 

if you do this - you will join me as possibly the only ones that do this  lol

I don't like working with hot oil or working on/near a hot engine 

and would rather not start and run the engine one more time with the current oil (and filter where applicable) if I'm planning to change the oil 

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 1

roadapples

I usually do it hot and still leave them sit over night, or longer. I'm rarely in too big'a hurry.....

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib
10 hours ago, roadapples said:

I usually do it hot and still leave them sit over night, or longer. I'm rarely in too big'a hurry.....

:text-yeahthat:do it cold and wait? No hurry

:sleeping-sleeping::coffee:

pfrederi

If you want to do it cold Jack up what ever end of the tractor gets the drain the lowest.  let it drain over night.  Close the drain level the tractor.  Pour in 1/2 cup of gasoline or other volatile solvent. Shake the machine a bit.  then jack it up again and drain it. over night leave dip stick open.  The solvent/gas will bring out more sludge and then leave drain and dipstick open any residual will evaporate.

Edited by pfrederi

bottjernat1

I normally get them warm then pull the plug.