Sign in to follow this  
Chopper Tom

Chopper Tom

Hello to all. Found this site while pondering the purchase of a used but very well maintained 1 owner 88 520h. I currently own a 96 MTD 38" rider mower, but at 6'2" and 280lbs, I looked like a gorrilla on a tricycle doing my lawn!!!

The choice at hand was either a 2009 Troy-Built Super Bronco, or the 1988 520h. Granted, the 502h was $800 cheaper, but attachment options for the Bronc I was told, was limited to a bagger. As I checked this site out, I found that quite a few attachments are/were available for the 520

Needless to say, I did buy the 520 and joined Red Square this morning. Actually, this site persuaded me into the purchase because of the information posted here. Excellent site!!!

Now, I'll leave it up to the "experts" to let me know if I did good.

A 1 owner 88 520h Onan powered(1250hrs), w/48" (solid)deck. Everything works(lights, guages, dash)(small puff of smoke on start up), great cut, good paint, 3 spare blades, 4H-caps. The seat is good but the "retaining moulding(???)" that holds the vinal to the seat pan is loose, a tail mounted 89 4horse(Briggs) PeCo Vac Bagger, WH 500 Series Owners manual, parts and service manual, Mower attachment (300 + 400series)parts manual and operating and maintenance instruction manual, Onan Performer Engine operators manual, Owners manual for the PeCo Super Twin 10 Vac Bagger, and operating/maintenance manual for the B+S 4hp Vac motor. Total price, $600.

Good Deal?????

Also does anybody know the original 88 purchase price for this. I have a reciept from the previous owner showing this model/sn was purchased for over $4200 in 89(the bagger isn't on the reciept). Is this right???

Will post pics after I make my first cut and power wash.

Thanks,

Chopper Tom

kajamo240

:omg: Good site here. You will find a lot of help with your new purchase!

Eriks Red horse herd

I'd say excellent buy! Even though its an older model than the troybuilt (MTD junk)Bronco it will out last just about any thing on the market today. just look at the history of Wheel Horse! 50 Years from now it will still be running. with a little TLC and Regular maintenance should be the last tractor you'll buy, unless you up grade to another wheel Horse or become hooked and get the sickness and become a wheel horse junkie!

OH! by the way :omg:

Coadster32

unless you up grade to another wheel Horse or become hooked and get the sickness and become a wheel horse junkie!

Just a matter of when. BTW-- :omg:

lotus1967

Chopper Tom: Welcome to the site. Your guesstimate of $4200.00 would be correct for an origional price. While expensive then, we as owners some 20 years later can now understand why. My WH is a 1987 418-8 and I've stated here on the site, and to anyone who will listen, that it's still a better, stronger tractor than almost anything else out there. My very first repair (in 22 years) happened this spring, and cost a whopping $60.00. We're still running on origional belts (Drive and Mower). In short, you made a great buy. Congratulations and take good care of your prize.

Just Piddling

:omg: Sounds better than a great buy. Did you wear a mask when you picked it up? :drool:

Duff

Chopper Tom, :drool: !

I agree with the others - you got yourself one heckuva good deal!

Glad to have you among us, and that Horse will outlive about anything else on the market today!

Duff :omg:

buckrancher

One powerhouse I love my 1990 520H

and by the way :omg:

TJ

:omg:

Operator

:omg: Chopper Tom! You bet you got a great buy on the Horse. Fairly soon you will need another one for garden work then another for dedicated snowblower duty and the list just gets bigger!

Randy

gwgdog66

:drool: Ya did good :omg:

Suburban 550

:drool: Chopper Tom. Good choice on selecting tractors. :omg:

tgranthamfd

:omg: I am new on here as well. Very informative people.