hotajax

Thinking of Doing Short Block on my Kohler K321S

hotajax

Project for next winter.  I can mostly figure out how to put stuff back together.  But my big question:  How much "oversize" do I want in the rings after honing out the cylinder?  Or is it a question of how much cylinder is left after honing out the scoring marks?  Thanks

ZXT

It's mainly a question of inspecting the bore for wear and seeing if it'll take a re-ring. Many people will come up and say have it bored no matter what - I have seen more than a few engines that were well worn take a re-ring and last a long time. I'd say if you pull it apart, inspect the bore for damage, and find that it doesn't have much of a ring ridge at the top of the bore, you'll probably be fine to throw a set in it. You will use standard sized rings if it is still standard bore. 

953 nut

Unless you have the proper measuring devices and know how to use them I would advise you to take tha block and crankshaft to an engine machine shop. You can spend a lot of money on parts and be disappointed with the results if you don't do it right.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

The Tuul Crib
29 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Unless you have the proper measuring devices and know how to use them I would advise you to take tha block and crankshaft to an engine machine shop. You can spend a lot of money on parts and be disappointed with the results if you don't do it right.

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

clueless
1 hour ago, The Tool Crib said:

squonk

If it's scored, get it bored! 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

hotajax

Thanks gents.  Much for consideration.