wheelwhores

Consistently dirty carb

wheelwhores

All, 

I know maybe this isn't the exact right place for this but, I have a Cub cadet chipper shredder vac that consistently runs poorly at full throttle.  It has an inline fuel filter but every time I pull the carb there is particulate matter in the bowl The air filter is old and I think it's the culprit, but do you think it could be something else?

ebinmaine

We had a saying in the Auto parts industry many moons ago.

You HAVE to do the maintenance before you start trouble shooting.

IMHO and experience your best bet is to give it a FULL tune-up and change the fuel lines a whole. Remove and clean the tank if possible. Remove and clean the carb as well.

Run it a bit then see where your at.

• Like 6

Stormin

And fit a new air filter. :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 4

953 nut

If you are using gas with Ethanol in it that is a likely source of the problem. This site will leade you to a station that sells ethanol free gas.  https://www.pure-gas.org/

• Like 3

squonk

Does this have the sponge anti fuel slosh thingy in your fuel tank? They break down and get in the carb

• Like 2

ZXT
3 hours ago, wheelwhores said:

All, 

I know maybe this isn't the exact right place for this but, I have a Cub cadet chipper shredder vac that consistently runs poorly at full throttle.  It has an inline fuel filter but every time I pull the carb there is particulate matter in the bowl The air filter is old and I think it's the culprit, but do you think it could be something else?

I agree with all of the above. There is no real way for bits of the air cleaner to get into the bowl. I would bet that you have a dirty tank, and probably a crappy fuel filter. I've seen things get through a fuel filter that make no logical sense. Definitely make sure the tank is clean, change the rubber lines as they could be breaking down and putting deposits into the fuel, and put a new fuel filter on it. Clean the carb thoroughly, and then only run ethanol free gas from that point if you can. If it has the foam thing as Mike mentioned, I feel for you. I HATE those! I've replaced a number of tanks because of them. 

• Like 4

D_Mac

I just picked up the same chipper shredder vac. Those things kick up a lot of dust and debris. I agree with using ethanol free gas and keeping a clean air filter. I also use some Sea Foam and Sta-Bil into all my small engines. When I fill my can up at the gas station I mix it right in there so what ever I am putting gas in, it is all ready treated. I even use it in my 2 stroke stuff, like chain saws and string trimmers.

• Like 4

wheelwhores

never tried using seafoam before, just got my new air filter so i will try this out!  One thing i have found with these units is with a sawzall i cut about a 1" gap on the mouth opening along it's length in the front and it sucks up way more debris now than before regardless of the heigh adjustment.   I also noticed it works alot better when walking backwards....eventually i hope to modify it so that it can be towed behind my C175.

3WHDave

Agree, not coming from air filter if in bowl. Also, particles do bypass filter media, I designed filters in a prior life. Look at inner tank, fuel lines (butadiene breaks down) and everything up stream. You might want to disconnect the line at the carb and run a gallon into a gas can with paper towel in between. Very revealing.  I clean my tanks (during restorations) with a mix of TSP, rinse immediately after with sacrificial gas. 

wheelwhores

well it ended up being the airfilter, put a new one on last week and she purs like a kitten.  I soaks the carb in carb cleaner 1 gallon can for a week, that i'm sure did not hurt.

• Like 2