bellevillerod

kohler M18

bellevillerod

Well I guess electric clutch is the way to go. I do have a older bolens that need a repower.  Had an hh140 in it. Has the tiller, blade, deck and hydro. See if I can stuff this under it's hood.

bds1984

Here are a few shots of the carburetor from my M18 that I repowered my 520H with.  Hopefully this will help.

20200410_194625.jpg

20200410_194641.jpg

20200410_194649.jpg

20200410_194658.jpg

• Like 3

bellevillerod

thank you very close to what I came up with. Won't know if mine will work until I get it running on a tank. But now I know how it is supposed to be like. Need to look up that long armed spring really could use that.

bellevillerod

Well I got her hooked up today and she fired right up. I had pulled the carb off a couple of days ago and cleaned it real good. After I made this video, and I know I need more work on these. I went and bought a cheap oil pressure gauge and hooked it up. At an idle she is reading 50psi on the oil. No leaks that I can see, but it has only ran a total of maybe 10 min. Had 40mph winds today and had to leave the barn door open to run, blowing crap all over. So tomorrow if the weather permits I will run it up to temp and set the carb. Then check for any concerns. So far it looks like a winner, I will do a complete breakdown of everything i did. I bought parts I ended up not needing so all in it is well under 100.00

Edited by bellevillerod
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

Glad it worked out.  i happened to pickup a Magnum twin Vertical shaft service manual..it is different than the Horizontal version In the manual section here.  I always figured the engines were very similar.  i was a bit surprised at one thing I stumbled over.  Horizontal use RV17YC plugs gapped at .035 Vertical shaft RV15YC gapped at .025.....

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

WVHillbilly520H
On 4/13/2020 at 8:51 PM, bellevillerod said:

Well I got her hooked up today and she fired right up. I had pulled the carb off a couple of days ago and cleaned it real good. After I made this video, and I know I need more work on these. I went and bought a cheap oil pressure gauge and hooked it up. At an idle she is reading 50psi on the oil. No leaks that I can see, but it has only ran a total of maybe 10 min. Had 40mph winds today and had to leave the barn door open to run, blowing crap all over. So tomorrow if the weather permits I will run it up to temp and set the carb. Then check for any concerns. So far it looks like a winner, I will do a complete breakdown of everything i did. I bought parts I ended up not needing so all in it is well under 100.00

When you get a chance give us your version of parts and labor write up to go horizontal ... I commend you on a job well done and thanks for sharing.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

bellevillerod
7 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Horizontal use RV17YC plugs gapped at .035 Vertical shaft RV15YC gapped at .025.....

I picked up the RV17YC plugs for the engine, gapped at .030.  I saw that when I was going for the tune up kit on the engine.  

hermie

I am trying to fix my mothers ford gt85. This pulley is off the front of the Kohler M18 it drives the belt for the deck. I can not find a replacement even in the parts microfiche. Can someone give me an idea of where to find one or does anyone have a used one? It looks like the hub wore off.

Thanks

IMG_6806.jpg

IMG_6807.jpg

IMG_6808.jpg

Edited by hermie

Too many horses

1990 Magnum 18

I am about to rebuild this engine to install on my 417-A that broke a rod. I see a couple guys suggesting that it MUST have the Torrington bearing on the crank for the PTO. I need more info as to why this is believed because I disagree. The crank in the M18 has a thrust washer on the PTO end and the crank face on the flywheel end is induction hardened. When the PTO on a WH is engaged the crank is pushed towards the flywheel side of the engine which does not have the Torrington bearing. If you disagree please explain why so that I can learn from your knowledge and/or experience. 
Thanks in advance!

wallfish

Side load probably.  Like from the heavy side loads generated from the drive belt and attachment belts is my guess why a full ball bearing would be better than a thrust washer.

• Like 1

953 nut
11 hours ago, Too many horses said:

1990 Magnum 18

I am about to rebuild this engine to install on my 417-A

:WRS:

If the M18 is from a Wheel Horse you are good to go. If not you can put in the spec. numbers of both engines and see if the bearing are the same.

https://www.kohler-engine-parts.opeengines.com/bearingsbushings-bearings-c-781_271_250/

Since you will be going from a battery powered ignition system to a magneto ignition you will want to install a kill relay and leave the rest of your wiring as is.

• Excellent 1

Handy Don
12 hours ago, Too many horses said:

The crank in the M18 has a thrust washer on the PTO end and the crank face on the flywheel end is induction hardened

The “bearing debate” comes down to the sideways (axial) force as you surmise.

A thrust washer will simply not give the same service as either a thrust bearing or a full caged ball bearing when handling significant axial loading. The WH PTO plate clutch applies a lot of axial load. The hardened shaft only matters if using needle bearings or thrust bearings since ball bearings have their own races.

As a comparison, look at WH models that used Tecumseh engines with electric or belt-tensioning PTO clutches. They had no significant axial load on the engine, so they didn’t need the extra expense of ball or thrust bearings.

• Like 2

pfrederi

The thrust bearing that WH paid extra for from Kohler is on the Flywheel side. (I doubt they woudl do that if it wasn't needed...very very few Magnum 18 have the thrust bearing)  When you engage the PTO you are trying to push the crank out the flywheel side of the block.  Withe the standard sleeve bearing there is only a thin lip to resist side loading.  You can see the radial needle bearing and hardened thrust washers in these pics.  Good luck on your rebuild i did mine and wouold not do it again... too expensive. Some over/underparts are hard to find and machine shop work is pricey ... two of everything.

IMG_0061.JPG.20ec40944b7390baad8afd7da7a33ae6.JPG

IMG_0069.JPG.db254e23ad80be2938ff2ffc41e79d1a.JPG

• Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don

Excellent pictures showing the thrust bearing and races. Clarifies why it is an extra expense when making the engine and why it is on the flywheel side!

• Like 2

Too many horses

Pfrederi- you are a lifesaver!!! My 17 has been apart for so long that my thrust bearing and washer made it onto the wrong end of the crankshaft. I would have eventually found out but it would have been too late. I am so glad that I swallowed my pride and came to the forum seeking more info. 
I owe you one!!! Happy Wheeling in 2024-

Joe

• Like 4

Too many horses

Magnum 18 Torrington bearing retrofit. Took the crank to work today and machined .253” off the thrust surface at the flywheel end of the crankshaft. Most of the time was to make sure the indicated runout was less than .001”

With the crank in the block there is .009” end play now. 
Thanks to all that replied to my inquiry!

Joe

IMG_2210.jpeg

IMG_2209.jpeg

• Like 3

BESTDOGEVER

I used a vertical doner engine to replace the cylinders and pistons on my m18 as well as the flywheel and numerous other parts. That 100 dollar spare saved me probably 6 to 8 times that . Part it out it will save numerous other engines.