formariz

Tecumseh carb headaches

formariz

I have here quite a few machines with Techy engines. Carburetors can be finicky but I always been successful in cleaning them and making engines run correctly. That is until now. 
 Went to use my small splitter and although it was run dry last time and fuel tank emptied, it was surging badly. Removed , cleaned it, ran fine for about 20 minutes and same thing. Removed again  cleaned and same result. 
 I have quite a few on standby so installed another one. Same thing, surging after a while. 
 Remembered I had a new Chinese knockoff never used, changed it to that one. Ran ok but only with high speed closed all the way. That is just not right so took it out and trashed it. I now went through 3 carburetors and about to lose my mind.

Decided to instal a Carter from the Kohlers on it. Was quite a bit of work since they are larger and the Techys use the offset mounting adapter. Had also to adapt an extension so it would clear everything around it.

Started it up. Fired on second pull, and runs perfectly . Engine actually sounds quite different. So from now on unless to keep something important original I’ll just switch to Carters or Kohlers.

1E8915A8-1518-401E-94DE-3D1D7A49F188.jpeg.050b0119c3595350722fb5145c7541ad.jpeg  

ABB11F83-73B9-4FA6-A35E-1CE49817B67B.jpeg.095f0ec530fdff8c50b9f653ddf58a6e.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Pullstart

Caz, I couldn’t agree with you more!  I did this to “Jane” my Commando 6.  I haven’t ever regretted it!

Edited by pullstart
Auto correct
  • Like 2

ol550

Could be that crack on the mounting flange?  Did you remove the welch plug and clean the passages. The plug usually is in the kit.

• Like 1

formariz

The crack actually happened tightening the Carter since I had to deepen the countersunk part for the longer screws needed to attach it therefore weakening it. I got a little sloppy due to the frustration. Crack is only at that point and not on other side of hole. Not a big deal since I have many of those adapters and plan to redo it again. That aluminum extension is also upside down now. It has a threaded part on other side to use a fuel pump which I’ll use when I redo it.

I always remove and replace Welch plugs when I clean them. Noticing now how much better engine sounds and runs with the Carters I’ll probably never bother with a Techy carb from now on unless on a critically correct machine of which I only have two.

formariz

With a cooler head gathered a few more parts from stock so this will be the new setup to mount the Carter onto the Techy also now using  a fuel pump. Found also a better Techy adapter flange that is actually tapped for a 1/4-20 rather than one that uses a flat head bolt countersunk in the back.

8D01CC90-40A4-4959-96F7-D28413EDFA31.jpeg.82055451595e51c5699e46480d35f277.jpeg

ED37DE4A-E3A5-42CE-AD76-DDDDA12A644C.jpeg.667b305174e815685474df63399c0f74.jpeg

Edited by formariz
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

That little job is a fuel pump?  Cool stuff!

formariz
2 minutes ago, pullstart said:

That little job is a fuel pump?  Cool stuff!

Yes a tiny vacuum pump. They work great in the small gravity fed engines like the k91s. Noticeable difference when going on a steady uphill.

• Like 1

ZXT

Where does one find one of these adapters to put a Kohler carb on a Tecumseh? I have a good running HH120 that I pulled off of my C-120 because the carburetor was garbage and the starter died. If I could get a decent carb for it, I might find a starter for it and put it on the 800 special I bought in February.

formariz
23 minutes ago, ZXT said:

Where does one find one of these adapters to put a Kohler carb on a Tecumseh? I have a good running HH120 that I pulled off of my C-120 because the carburetor was garbage and the starter died. If I could get a decent carb for it, I might find a starter for it and put it on the 800 special I bought in February.

The reason for the aluminum adapter in this case was to push carburetor out away from engine for clearance reasons. You may be fine with just the adapter that is now on your Tecumseh. These particular ones I had made to use the small fuel pumps. A second benefit from using them is that fuel atomizes better . Pushing carburetor away from engine helps atomize fuel into smaller particles.

• Like 1

ZXT
2 minutes ago, formariz said:

The reason for the aluminum adapter in this case was to push carburetor out away from engine for clearance reasons. You may be fine with just the adapter that is now on your Tecumseh. These particular ones I had made to use the small fuel pumps. A second benefit from using them is that fuel atomizes better . Pushing carburetor away from engine helps atomize fuel into smaller particles.

Oh, so I take it that the bolt pattern is the same? Should be easy enough to swap a carb then! Excellent!

formariz
1 hour ago, ZXT said:

Oh, so I take it that the bolt pattern is the same? Should be easy enough to swap a carb then! Excellent!

Bolt pattern is the same on similar sized carburetors. Venturi size and throttle bore size varies within same size carburetors, depending on their application. That is so  even on same sized engines. For general use however it should not be a concern.

• Like 1

squonk

Nothing like dealing with Tecky Cooties on a spring day! 

• Haha 1