Dan.gerous

Farm tractors

ebinmaine
18 minutes ago, ACman said:

What a beautiful sunset...this was the other night when they finished chopping hay next door . It’s the the neighbors Allis Chalmers 7580 with a Cummins 8.1L upgrade .

D4C59812-5DB1-40BA-9B74-570675D4970A.jpeg.dc8159e58acd854fb1ee604f07b07729.jpeg

If there was an Other brands calendar.....

• Like 2

Dakota8338
On 7/29/2020 at 2:29 AM, Dan.gerous said:

What was the reasoning behind the narrow front end on these? I can only assume it was something to do with going between rows of planted products.

Lovely couple of tractors, ours are quite rough in comparison!

No idea about parts compatibility, it's not uncommon I guess, shared research etc

To expand upon the answer to the question asked, the narrow front end, which was most often referred to as "tricycle front end" were principally row crop tractors.  Back in the 1930's, 40's, 50's and even the 60's to some degree the hydraulics were not that great on tractors.  School boys in the family did a lot of plowing after school and on weekends.  With less body strength to steer the wide front ends, even the school boys could lock the brake after plowing two rows then swing the tricycle front end around to plant or plow the very next two rows.  (With the wide front end tractors they often could not be swung back into position to plow without driving over end of row plants, or compacting the end of rows on planted seeds, even after skipping four rows, especially when being driven by youths.  

Wide front end tractors had no means for attach what was commonly referred to as front plows, but which were actually mounted in the middle of the tractor, but forward of the driver, or tractor's operator.

Additionally, I understand the tricycle front end tractors cost less than the wide front end tractors, but I am not old enough to know that for a fact.

Last, the wide front end tractors, seemed to have a poor reputation for lasting and durability, and they were always having to be adjusted to match the width of the rows, whereas the tractors with tricycle front ends never needed any adjustments.

Where row crops farming was under way, the tricycle front end style tractors offered ever advantage possible, including cost i understand, while the wide front end style tractors were a hindrance to the work underway.  The only detraction for the tricycle front end style tractor, I can think of, is for an inexperienced or careless operator they are easier to turn over, than are the wide front end tractors.  Still people who do not know what they are doing, or how to correctly & properly operate said machinery, should NOT be operating, tractors, chainsaws, watercraft, weapons, four-wheeler's, vehicles, or anything else.  

• Excellent 1