Ed Kennell

Tractor for the Birds

WHX??
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

I had a pair start to build a nest then the sparrows took over and moved in.       Bummer.

Isn't there a way to discourage the sparrows? My problem is the swallows so I tried putting duct tape over the hole hoping they would look elsewhere. Fear the Blues did too tho. 

Ed Kennell
11 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Isn't there a way to discourage the sparrows?

See the source image

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 3

SylvanLakeWH

Careful gents...In Michigan you can trap sparrows all year round, but you need a Small Game License to shoot them... Here's the State DNR Info:

YEAR ROUND - NO BAG LIMIT

Coyote, Opossum, Porcupine, Weasel, Red Squirrel, Skunk, Ground Squirrel, Woodchuck, Russian boar, Feral Pigeons, Starlings, and House Sparrows

SEASON DATES:

Year-round

BAG LIMITS AND ADDITIONAL INFO:

Bag Limit: No Limit

Carry on...

image.png.cb382d8f585b192d62aac7a43d6604d4.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

formariz
27 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Isn't there a way to discourage the sparrows?

Been doing quite a bit of research on blue birds. Several recommendations regarding the sparrows caught my attention.

First one was to build houses without a "hole" but rather use a slot at the very top. Sparrows do not like that type of entrance and bluebirds do they say.

Next it was to place box at 4 feet. Again saying sparrows like higher heights. I have mine at 6' now. One is occupied already but not the others. I might lower them.

Then they recommend to cover hole in winter so sparrows don't use it for shelter since then they will claim it in the spring.

I am on a mission here with these bluebirds.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

pfrederi

Tree swallows like the boxes as well and you definitely do not want to harm them (besides being illegal).  They are prodigious bug eaters. I love mowing in the summer as the swoop all around me grabbing the bugs I stir up.  What is recommended is to mount your houses in pairs with the houses about 20 ft apart. Neither species is particularly interested in nesting next to another one of the same species.  I have about 10 pairs of houses.  Several pairs are integrated.  I do not have a sparrow problem for some reason.  i do get some wrens in boxes also . 

Bluebirds have super eye sight.  The perch on power wires and then flydown to get a bug on the ground.  If you do not have power wires fences are also popular.

Pullstart

I’ve got my base / small game :handgestures-thumbupright:  sparrows down!  Now maybe I should get some 22 game load for the pistol... like a pressure washer, I don’t have a 22LR :teasing-tease:

• Haha 1

pfrederi
1 minute ago, formariz said:

Been doing quite a bit of research on blue birds. Several recommendations regarding the sparrows caught my attention.

First one was to build houses without a "hole" but rather use a slot at the very top. Sparrows do not like that type of entrance and bluebirds do they say.

Next it was to place box at 4 feet. Again saying sparrows like higher heights. I have mine at 6' now. One is occupied already but not the others. I might lower them.

Then they recommend to cover hole in winter so sparrows don't use it for shelter since then they will claim it in the spring.

I am on a mission here with these bluebirds.

We have bluebirds over winter (we feed them)  They shelter in the houses so we leave them open but go around and clean them out in early spring...

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH
12 minutes ago, pullstart said:

like a pressure washer, I don’t have a 22LR :teasing-tease:

Get good with the pistol or...Can’t you make a long barrel adapter for your pistol out of some pipe and your welder... paint it regal red... you know... fab something up in the workshop...

:thumbs:

• Haha 2

Ed Kennell
33 minutes ago, formariz said:

First one was to build houses without a "hole" but rather use a slot at the very top.

Cas, did you see a size for the slot.   I will try this....I'm thinking I will start with a 1.25" high slot across the width of the front.

WHX??
40 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Now maybe I should get some 22 game load for the pistol... like a pressure washer, I don’t have a 22LR

Best get with the program then... and look at the stamping on the bottom of Ed's round... that ain't exactly a small bore load!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

formariz

Just placed feeders and there is one more box with a nest in it. Saw the bluebird coming out of it.

74DA02A1-32DF-4892-906F-ED42C422AECF.jpeg.b34aba23f9e044f085d546bf390ce3bc.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 2

WHX??

Wow can't believe how your trees are budding out already. Not even a little of that around here and 18 deg. last nite! 

formariz
12 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Cas, did you see a size for the slot.   I will try this....I'm thinking I will start with a 1.25" high slot across the width of the front.

They don't say but it looks like a 1-1/4 or 1-1/2 slot. On next batch I will try that also. Funny thing is the first house that was occupied by them is close to sidewalk. My wife wanted it there so she can watch it from the kitchen window. I was sure it was too close to sidewalk for them, but she proves me wrong again.

formariz
1 minute ago, WHX24 said:

Wow can't believe how your trees are budding out already. Not even a little of that around here and 18 deg. last nite! 

They are getting leaves already. Last week they were beautiful, totally covered with white flowers. I am the only one here with Bradford pears like this. Constant battle in winter shaking snow off of them so they don't break and spraying them 3 times in the Summer against the Pear rust disease. Planted them when they were about 3 feet tall with my son. It would break my heart if they were gone.

• Thanks 1

Stormin

Sitting in my workshop this afternoon having a break, when a sparrow flew in through the open main doors. In it's beak was a piece of moss. Now my workshop is built of breeze blocks. Large cement ones with two square holes through them.

The sparrow flew to the opposite wall, that has a pillar half way along. Landing on top, it disappeared down one of the holes in the top block. Out again a few seconds later, then back with more moss. Obviously nest building.

Now I've nothing against sparrows, but I couldn't allow a nest in the workshop. Because when the doors are shut, there would be no way in or out for them. So I placed a board over the top of the block. I did feel a bit guilty when the sparrow came back and wondered what had happened. Totally confused it eventually flew away.

• Heart 2

Ed Kennell

Well, I turned the front over and set the slot at 1.25" and it looked too big, so I fixed it at 1.125.

102_1579.JPG.e21f915f2018b02b923e8274e26d7cd2.JPG

Mrs Sparrow studied the new front  for about 5 minutes.

102_1585.JPG.c7779d2e32a270bc7684e5d223c762e5.JPG

Then she tried  unsuccessfully to get in the covered bottom hole.

102_1584.JPG.faeab80c99344a823fb515ec30c037b4.JPG

Then she saw the slot and flew right in the 1.125" high slot.

102_1582.JPG.ab93303184f316b98ee6ea1d52366953.JPG

Back to the shop to set it at 0.875".

• Like 2

formariz
23 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Back to the shop to set it at 0.875".

Found one selling that specifies slot is 1-1/8". Claims also that sparrows do not like all the bright light in the box.

I wonder if my "tunnel" has an effect on that?

Edited by formariz

pfrederi
9 minutes ago, formariz said:

Found one selling that specifies slot is 1-1/8". Claims also that sparrows do not like all the bright light in the box.

I wonder if my "tunnel" has an effect on that?

I wouldn't go too thin...Bluebirds are kind of pudgy:P

Ed Kennell

I don't know Paul....that was a pretty fat sparrow that went in the slot.     I might give it a day to see if the sparrow actually builds.  Maybe she'll look for a condo with a front porch.

Pullstart

Great pictures Ed!

• Thanks 1

formariz
22 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I wouldn't go too thin...Bluebirds are kind of pudgy:P

Feeding them too many worms?

• Haha 1

Ed Kennell

The sparrows go in the slot, but they don't seem to be building a nest.       I made them a couple easy access condos hoping to divert them from the bluebird box.

John @wallfish may recognize the PVC.102_1586.JPG.eff2aca72563e5a4207e4be4a419a33e.JPG

• Like 2

formariz
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I made them a couple easy access condos hoping to divert them from the bluebird box.

Yes they may like a more contemporary structure. Great idea Ed.

• Like 1

wallfish

Let me know how they work out Ed, I'll send ya a truck load of pipe! Or just make bird houses out of it as I even have trouble giving it away.

• Like 1

formariz

Today walking through the property and inspecting all the bird houses, not only the bluebird ones but all (a little over 20), I noticed something very curious. Every bird house that has the opening facing directly towards the East is occupied and it was so very soon from the time I put them up. All the others are not.

Confirming also that, is the fact that on the tall post with the many houses ,the top circular unit which has 8 houses has also everything facing East directly and close occupied while one entire side(2houses) is vacant. That side faces directly West.

Am I onto something here or like the little woman here says I am losing my mind ?

Just came to mind also. There is a birdhouse next to the Koi pond that has been there for over 10 years and has never had a bird in it. Never even seen one land on it. Faces directly West. Perhaps the wife is right I am losing it.

Edited by formariz