Ed Kennell

Tractor for the Birds

Ed Kennell

Any visitors to Rylee's bird house?

I had this guy checking mine this morning, but I haven't seen him since the wind storm blew thru this afternoon.

102_1550.JPG.9161fcaac2c40be7768b0376fa83cdf9.JPG102_1548.JPG.fe4122865bb6bd668c671245d50970f5.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Pullstart

We stopped by Wednesday and observed for a bit.  No visitors yet, however there was that April fools snow storm last night, I am not sure when they’ll be out chirping around again?

• Like 1

pfrederi

Snow Flakes in the air and Hungry Bluebird on the feeder this morning.

IMG_0047.JPG

• Excellent 3
  • Thanks 2

Ed Kennell

Great picture Paul.   He  looks like he has fluffed up his insulation to keep warm.        I haven't seem mine since yesterday AM.      That 70MPH wind storm blew thru here at midnight and dumped a coating of marble size hail/sleet.     The temp dropped from 72 yesterday to 34 now.          Hope he is OK and comes back to the box before the sparrows move in.

• Like 1

Pullstart

I assume this time of year they are building nests pretty actively?  How long might we expect to sit for a bird to be in and out of the house right now?

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

If you have a nest building pair, you will see them every couple minutes. They typically don't travel very far to gather nest material.

The bird I saw yesterday was not bringing nest material.  He was just checking the box and he was there every 5 minutes for about an hour.

I suspect it was a male and may now be searching for a mate.   I hope he finds one and returns.

• Like 1

pfrederi
56 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I assume this time of year they are building nests pretty actively?  How long might we expect to sit for a bird to be in and out of the house right now?

I have a pair that have staked out the house closest to the feeder.  Don't see signs of construction yet just guarding it.  Have you seen or heard bluebirds around???

• Like 1

Pullstart
8 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I have a pair that have staked out the house closest to the feeder.  Don't see signs of construction yet just guarding it.  Have you seen or heard bluebirds around???

Have not, then again I don’t know what song they sign either.  

• Like 1

formariz

Did these today . On to a couple of feeders now . Will try to mount them tomorrow since we can’t go anywhere. It will be an Easter project. Hopefully it will be a nice day.

7416CE4D-67DB-484F-8EB7-BA4A7866A306.jpeg.e7d4fba757acc331b49935b38d57c73f.jpeg

F4D6B7E3-6088-4872-9744-FE3D5150AC24.jpeg.4284abe1a1cf839841d8c4e1326d7d45.jpeg

• Like 2

pfrederi
51 minutes ago, formariz said:

Did these today . On to a couple of feeders now . Will try to mount them tomorrow since we can’t go anywhere. It will be an Easter project. Hopefully it will be a nice day.

Nice work  what kind of wood did you use.?

• Thanks 1

formariz
2 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Nice work  what kind of wood did you use.?

Thank you. Cedar. I have quite a few cut offs from 12x12 beams left over from a job, so I just re saw them into 1/2 boards. The "donuts"are Santos Mahogany. Hard as a rock, besides a beaver no animal is going to chew through that.  Was reading about the issue with the Blowfly larvae so I made the little grate on the bottom to allow them to drop away from nest. I am just not sure that the holes are big enough for that to happen.

pfrederi

I made mine out of cedar 3/4'.  some are 15 years old but they have begun to split or some one has gnawed on the entry,

formariz
18 hours ago, pfrederi said:

I made mine out of cedar 3/4'.  some are 15 years old but they have begun to split or some one has gnawed on the entry,

Can’t ask for much more than that. 
 Cedar is great for them. Found that roof makes a big difference on their longevity. Large overhangs keep water from inside and from seeping in where sides meet bottom.Making boxes tapered also helps with that.
 Feeders are done also. Just have to devise some type of latch for door .Have to scout property tomorrow for best spots to place them and houses.

Relaxing work making them. Good way to spend day.

30AA3641-C863-4DAC-B096-B9F6CF735690.jpeg.94c8f72d3de5c880829b7f4da66a5a5f.jpeg

5CCF4502-1CAF-47CA-96D5-E6FDE5E63CE3.jpeg.2d9a5dcd00d699aa073d584122cc838a.jpeg

Edited by formariz
  • Excellent 4

pfrederi

Like the foil over the peak is it copper? How many open close cycles do you think it will last.I get water in my feeder through the peak and hinge may have to try something like you did...

formariz
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

Like the foil over the peak is it copper? How many open close cycles do you think it will last.I get water in my feeder through the peak and hinge may have to try something like you did...

It’s copper flashing. It has a thin rubber like coating on the back. It should last a long time since I only tack it on the edges with tiny brass tacks. This way when it opens it’s really not flexing much along crease. (photo below).  I buy these rolls of copper flashing from Home Depot. They are expensive but many always have some damage on them from being dropped. No one buys those so I just take them to the service desk and ask them to give me a break on them. Always got them for $15 each and they cost a little over $40.  Everything around here always gets moss growing on it, the copper prevents that also keeping roof clear if it.

58F7FC3D-C33E-4EF2-849E-71189AA9F544.jpeg.0c0aa7a54113a1d0c69f5c3119243a6c.jpeg

• Like 4

formariz

So this is what I came up with for mounting boxes. Drove a “ sleeve” about 20” into ground. Then used 3/4” galvanized pipe for a post since I had here several 16’ lengths from using them for pipe clamps. This way I can move them easily to another location if these don’t work out. Sleeves also come out easily.

84C8B866-BBED-450F-9973-86AF7B8B95B2.jpeg.4cc94f26f089e55e2f04e5b88dbe7724.jpeg

D81097A8-6E4B-4C15-9581-F330A82FFE5F.jpeg.4070f9d4142d53c177bd6e5dc96d22ef.jpeg

1F9B948B-D50D-45C9-922A-A6A80B588EFF.jpeg.9edf7396a12912a472a17de6fda83a5a.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

formariz

SUCESS!  A pair of blue birds already made a nest in one of the houses. Trying to get close enough to get a good photo of them. First time I have ever seen one here.

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

pfrederi

Great!!! Pick  up some dried meal worms at Lowe's or HD and make them happy bluebirds

Edited by pfrederi

formariz
7 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Great!!! Pick  up some dried meal worms at Lowe's or HD and make them happy bluebirds

Yes. Picking them up tomorrow and setting feeders close to each set of houses. Pretty birds never really seen or noticed them before. Pretty cool on how they just latch on to a vertical surface like a wood pecker.

Edited by formariz
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

That gives me more hope, we need to get out and check Rylee’s house!

Ed Kennell

I had a pair start to build a nest then the sparrows took over and moved in.       Bummer.

• Sad 3

Pullstart

We’re out watching Rylee’s  house... not much action.  My tree stand is in the middle of the field.  Would that help, or should we find a free standing pole to hang it on?

96CF702B-84E9-4A4B-8546-1C55AF2701F0.jpeg

9750A357-43B5-4BCC-B88B-871A59DBCFBC.jpeg

EC949BE4-132B-453D-8C9D-BE121B35A2F2.jpeg

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Any one of those trees in that open fence row should work if there are any birds in the area.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

Ok, we’ll keep watching!  There were blue jays and other large field birds, but nothing small and blue (yet).

• Like 1