Okie B60

Bolens 1054 running hot

Okie B60

Hey guys, I've got a Bolens 1054 that's running hot and seems like it's always under a load. I remember a now deceased friend of mine told me that he fixed an old Cub Cadet by doing something with the points. I can't remember what exactly he said the procedure was. Any ideas?

953 nut

The setting of your ignition points also sets the engine timing.     Rear this over.

Ignition timing on Kohler engines.

Gapping the ignition points at .020 has always been the standard answer to how points should be set. That probably will get you into the ballpark where the engine will run, but with a bit of additional effort you can improve the engine’s power and performance.

The Kohler engine manual in the Red Square files section covers two methods for setting the ignition timing, Static Timing and using a Timing Light. This manual is a relatively new manual and it overlooks the fact that many of our engines were built prior to the ACR (automatic compression release) camshaft.

Earlier engines (mostly 1965 and earlier) had a Spark Advance camshaft that can not be timed using Static timing. At rest (and very low RPMs) the timing is retarded to fire slightly after TDC. The timing mark (SP) on your flywheel is at twenty degrees before top dead center but at rest the points on these engines break about ten degrees after top dead center. The only reliable way to check or set the timing on these engines is with a timing light.

There are a couple ways to determine what camshaft you have. Presuming the camshaft in your engine is the one it was born with the data plate on the engine has a suffix that can tell you what camshaft was used. The table below will tell you the suffix applicable to your engine. The other way to determine what camshaft you have is to remove the cam gear cover and take a look. If you see a mechanism attached to the cam gear it is the ACR cam.

The following engines have the spark advance camshaft;

K-141, Suffix prior to “C”

K-161, Suffix prior to “J”

K-181, Suffix prior to “D”

K-241, Suffix prior to “D”

The Tuul Crib
11 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

The setting of your ignition points also sets the engine timing.     Rear this over.

Ignition timing on Kohler engines.

Gapping the ignition points at .020 has always been the standard answer to how points should be set. That probably will get you into the ballpark where the engine will run, but with a bit of additional effort you can improve the engine’s power and performance.

The Kohler engine manual in the Red Square files section covers two methods for setting the ignition timing, Static Timing and using a Timing Light. This manual is a relatively new manual and it overlooks the fact that many of our engines were built prior to the ACR (automatic compression release) camshaft.

Earlier engines (mostly 1965 and earlier) had a Spark Advance camshaft that can not be timed using Static timing. At rest (and very low RPMs) the timing is retarded to fire slightly after TDC. The timing mark (SP) on your flywheel is at twenty degrees before top dead center but at rest the points on these engines break about ten degrees after top dead center. The only reliable way to check or set the timing on these engines is with a timing light.

There are a couple ways to determine what camshaft you have. Presuming the camshaft in your engine is the one it was born with the data plate on the engine has a suffix that can tell you what camshaft was used. The table below will tell you the suffix applicable to your engine. The other way to determine what camshaft you have is to remove the cam gear cover and take a look. If you see a mechanism attached to the cam gear it is the ACR cam.

The following engines have the spark advance camshaft;

K-141, Suffix prior to “C”

K-161, Suffix prior to “J”

K-181, Suffix prior to “D”

K-241, Suffix prior to “D”

:text-yeahthat:🗜

Okie B60

I guess I forgot to mention the Bolens has a Wisconsin 10 horse on it. Same principle I'm sure but some specifics sure would help. Thanks for the information on the Kohlers though. I'm definitely keeping that.

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib
37 minutes ago, Okie B60 said:

I guess I forgot to mention the Bolens has a Wisconsin 10 horse on it. Same principle I'm sure but some specifics sure would help. Thanks for the information on the Kohlers though. I'm definitely keeping that.

I would also make sure all the fins 

are cleaned out. Could cause over 

heating if they have yard 

debris in them.

• Like 2

953 nut
8 hours ago, Okie B60 said:

Have you gone on an internet search of Bolens or Wisconsin single cylinder engines. They probably have a timing mark just like the Kohler engines. 

Okie B60

So I downloaded a pdf on Wisconsin engines. Thanks for that idea!🙂

• Like 1