balconio

Seat switch idea

balconio

let me start by saying i suck at reading schematics. that said here's my idea- i have a 1988 312-8 that i plan to use as a recreational vehicle, i will never engage the PTO but i plan on pulley swapping the drive for a top speed around 10mph. what i'd like to do is add a toggle switch to the dash and have it so that i can choose whether or not the seat switch will kill the ignition, basically a defeatable deadman's switch that doesn't rely on the PTO being engaged. i'd like to do this in the event that i'm out on the trails and fall off- i don't want a 600lb tractor to continue to drive until it hits something at 10mph, but i also want to be able to let the engine run if i choose to without my butt on the seat.

from what i can see- i want to cut the Orange wire from the seat switch and attach that to one pole on the toggle switch, and have the other pole go to the Dark Blue wire that comes off the PTO switch (effectively bypassing it altogether). Can someone who's competent at reading a schematic tell me if i'm even close here?

my reference is page 7-34 of this guide i found online http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/tractors/tractor_1986-_01_312-8_wiring_pages.pdf

gwest_ca

You already have a switch there that will do that.

Pto ON seat switch works. Change decal to Seat switch ON

Pto OFF seat switch is bypassed. Change decal to Seat switch OFF

Garry

• Like 1

Pullstart

What about a tether switch like a snowmobile or PWC?  Wire it in line with the + coil wire :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

balconio

I did it and it works just how I want it. Was easier than I thought, no wire cutting involved. I just pulled the wiring harness out from the PTO switch and shoved spade connectors into the harness and ran wires to my rocker switch on the dash. When it's "on" the system is armed and getting off the seat will stop the engine. When it's "off" the system will let the engine run regardless of the seat switch. 

IMG_20200504_152458466.jpg.56553d7ba926389144013573b1892b13.jpg

It's reversible in 2 minutes if I ever want but again this is not going to have any implements attached. If I'm rock crawling or something where I could easily fall off then I'll arm it, if I'm stuck in the mud and need to get off and push while in gear I can leave it off.

IMG_20200504_175407213.jpg.8d340b00d1ec07c14f129ad1ee3b8177.jpg

• Like 2

Racinbob
On 3/13/2020 at 7:05 PM, gwest_ca said:

You already have a switch there that will do that.

Pto ON seat switch works. Change decal to Seat switch ON

Pto OFF seat switch is bypassed. Change decal to Seat switch OFF

Garry

:text-yeahthat:When you want fall off protection simply engage the PTO, When you don't, disengage it. 

balconio

i considered that but thought this was a more elegant solution. i want a foot throttle next so this will probably end up being moot at that point, unless i get knocked completely out.

Racinbob

I understand where you're coming from. :)

tom2p

hmmm  ...  maybe a kill switch like a motorcycle hill climber uses would be ideal

one wrist will fit through a loop on one end and the other end plugs into the switch ... when yanked will pull the plugged end out and kill the engine