Rick Ferrucci

GT 14 suddenly stalls

Rick Ferrucci

Hello,

I have a GT14 that started fine, and I was pulling vines out of trees. It suddenly died, as if it was just shut off, and wouldn’t restart. Cranks over just fine. When I pull out the spark plug, reconnect the coil, I see no spark. I suspect the coil. Is there a way to test them? Do they die suddenly? Are they available from an auto parts store? Can it be something else? Thank you for your time and response.    Rick 

pfrederi

is the "coil" on your horse triangular shaped or beer can shaped.  original GT-14s had a breakerless ignition system. it used a triangular shaped coil .  They can die with no notice.  may be the coil itself or more likely the trigger under the air shroud....Replacemtn parts are hard to come by and$$$ You can convert to a battery points ignition system for much less money.

Pullstart

If it’s the beer can style ignition coil, do you have a volt meter?  Checking for power at the coil might help when the key is on.

Rick Ferrucci

It looks like a small beer can. About 5” long, 2 1/2” wide. Looks like the condenser next to it

• Like 1

Rick Ferrucci

I have a volt meter, I’ll check that. No voltage to the coil when the key is on.

Edited by Rick Ferrucci
Another response added

cafoose

If it is a triangular coil these threads may be of interest to you:

953 nut
1 hour ago, Rick Ferrucci said:

I have a volt meter, I’ll check that. No voltage to the coil when the key is on.

Any connection from the battery all the way to the ignition points could be corroded or need to be tightened. Only takes one bad connection to ruin your day.

• Like 1

ZXT

It would be odd for an ignition switch to die like that. I'd pull the connector off of the switch, clean the connector and the posts, and clean any other connections you can find.

Also look for hidden tape joint repairs.. I took my C-160 to a show, backed it off the trailer and it died. After about 15 minutes of looking I finally found the shoddy "repair". 

• Like 1

Pullstart
14 hours ago, Rick Ferrucci said:

Good update.  Yep, follow wiring through the switch until you find the break in power. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1