Stepney

Buy a washing machine-Get a tractor free!

Jennifer

My husbands mom still prefers to use the ringer washer each summer!  Great score!  What did the washer cost?

• Like 1

Stepney

Gave 175 for the old Maytag. A bit high, but it was the first one of this model I have seen for sale in over a year, and it was local too. This was the middle-line of the 3 they sold from the later 50's until the end of production in 1986. The upper model was aluminum with a polished top to the tub, the smaller model looked just like this with a steel tub, but they were rounded.

The round and top end models are still pretty common, funny enough the highest end aluminum model can often be had for pennies and are everywhere ..

But modern detergents wreak havoc on the aluminum and they start to corrode. 

These steel tubs with ceramic paint will pretty much last forever and dont care what you use.

This middle trim model wasn't made for too long due to being a bit of a pointless design, compared to the vastly cheaper or more expensive versions. While the other 2 had about a 35 year run, the J was limited production for only around 5 years. Earlier ones having red trim, and later being blue like this. 

• Like 4

Pullstart
19 minutes ago, Jennifer said:

My husbands mom still prefers to use the ringer washer each summer!  Great score!  What did the washer cost?

At the Portage, WI show last year, one of the guys showing steam toys and whistles taught us the meaning of “getting your ..... caught in the ringer!”  I thought it was just a saying....  :hide:

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

ZXT

Saw your post on the Sears Suburban FB page yesterday about it, and saw the mention of Wheel Horses - I wondered who it was! Now I know.

Looks like a good tractor for free! Can't beat those kind of deals.

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH
3 minutes ago, pullstart said:

At the Portage, WI show last year, one of the guys showing steam toys and whistles taught us the meaning of “getting your ..... caught in the ringer!”  I thought it was just a saying....  :hide:

Oh it ain’t just a saying... my grandma used to speak often and knowingly about such things...!

:scared-eek:

• Like 2

Stepney
11 minutes ago, ZXT said:

Saw your post on the Sears Suburban FB page yesterday about it, and saw the mention of Wheel Horses - I wondered who it was! Now I know.

Looks like a good tractor for free! Can't beat those kind of deals.

Yep, that was me!
I'm not sure what the long run plan will be for it.. those SSI ignitions arent cheap when/if they fail.

Have to make a post on the engine heat. Seems way too hot to me.

• Like 2

ZXT
1 minute ago, Stepney said:

Yep, that was me!
I'm not sure what the long run plan will be for it.. those SSI ignitions arent cheap when/if they fail.

Have to make a post on the engine heat. Seems way too hot to me.

I believe there are a few setups out there now to replace the Tecky parts. Shouldn't be that big an issue.

Jennifer
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

Ouch 😓... that couldn’t have been good.. 🤣.  My husband has a Maytag engine for one!  He doesn’t know if it works yet!

4A0D0220-D6D8-4394-BE33-1D307A671759.jpeg

52A6DAAD-E0CE-438A-B0EA-57CA8DD7D7F1.jpeg

26BF4AD9-88A2-446C-A975-DFE79BF9E50C.jpeg

Edited by Jennifer
  • Like 1

Jennifer

There great for the shop to keep the dirty shop rags and greasy clothes out of the good washer in the house!

• Like 3

Stepney
20 minutes ago, Jennifer said:

Almost exactly like mine!

A little newer. They are very nearly indestructible.. mine sat buried in a dirt barn floor for over 60 years.

0607192152.jpg.a2b77f4e46ffa605ddd5aa5353096e0e.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Heart 2

ebinmaine
20 minutes ago, Jennifer said:

There great for the shop to keep the dirty shop rags and greasy clothes out of the good washer in the house!

You'd be better off to put the wringer in the house and delegate the modern wonder to the shop.

:handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Jennifer

When he gets to playing with it I know who to get tips and help from!  Lol

• Like 4

ZXT
4 hours ago, Jennifer said:

Ouch 😓... that couldn’t have been good.. 🤣.  My husband has a Maytag engine for one!  He doesn’t know if it works yet!

That looks good, Jennifer! They're almost always missing the air cleaner. We have one on a washer and probably 30 other Maytag engines. Mostly single cylinder but some twins.

Keep in mind that when you try to get it running that they are two strokes! 

Edited by ZXT
  • Like 1

D_Mac

I dont have a washing machine but I have the stove and refrigerator !20190827_132227.jpg.9e22ebb671e8e037a5018534d6d0b348.jpg

• Excellent 4

Rob R

Just a comment you said the Suburban ran hot ……. make sure you don't have a critter nest under the shroud or flywheel etc.....  or you'll destroy a good machine.... 

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

I grew up with a ringer washer just 

like that ! Thanx for sharing the pics. 
mom was always afraid of me getting my

fingers in it. Never did!