Sign in to follow this  
seven

Adjusting the transmission?

seven

My c-160 always wants ?to go into gear when you're not sitting on it and it's kind of dangerous is there a way to tighten that shifting lever up

15823092901947093016547646832110.jpg

pfrederi

Loosen the jam nut (blue pointer ) 1-1/8"  then you will see the end of the threaded shaft (yellow pint) has four flat surfaces.  use a 5/8" wrench to tighten it.  When you have desired resistance on the motion control lever tighten the jam nut.

trans.JPG

• Excellent 5
  • Thanks 1

seven

Thanks that seems to help the spring is compressed as far as it will go now. I seem to be missing the little tab spring on the shift lever itself also

Pullstart

Does it creep one direction, or does it vary?  It might need adjustment on the cam plate.  Raise the rear tires off the ground, then while the motion control lever is in neutral/brake pedal depressed, loosen the set screw (green arrow) and adjust the cam screw (orange arrow) as needed to get neutral to the tires.

This needs the engine running, of course.

83E1FB02-0B92-4309-858D-F6B65C800FFD.jpeg

Edited by pullstart
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi
15 minutes ago, seven said:

Thanks that seems to help the spring is compressed as far as it will go now. I seem to be missing the little tab spring on the shift lever itself also

Are you referring to 6-14 or something else...spring.JPG.17198a6b6582ad6ad19f4169d7a4048c.JPG

seven

No not 6-14 I thought there was a spring like tab that used to rub against the shift lever  to help hold it in neutral ? Maybe not .but it is not shown in this detail

pfrederi

I do not have late model Sunstrands none of my Chargers have a plate spring.  418A Eaton has what i think you meant.  Item#3)  Do not know when WH started using them. You might be able to add one....

mc.JPG

mc1.JPG

pfrederi

By1977 C160s had the plate!!

late c160.JPG

late c160a.JPG

• Like 2

seven

Yes 3  or 34 what I was thinking it had but now I'm not sure it's definitely not there ..and I'm not sure what year it is 

seven
On 2/21/2020 at 1:37 PM, pfrederi said:

Are you referring to 6-14 or something else...spring.JPG.17198a6b6582ad6ad19f4169d7a4048c.JPGthis is what I have I need to take the shift lever all the way out now because when I tightened the spring to much it bent it apart I'm try to figure out how part number 6-58 comes out of 6-56?

seven

IMG_20200314_205436942.jpg

seven

Part 6-58 does not move on shaft