WHX??

Restoring Plastic Parts

WHX??

I know this has probaly been discussed before but what is the best way to put a shine on steering wheels, shifter knobs and the like? 

This wheel cleaned up rather nicely but now to put the shine back on it. A buffing wheel comes to mind?? 

20200216_194233.jpg

• Like 1

ebinmaine

:popcorn:

briankd

interesting i was just wondering also i did spray paint my mule drive knob and my knob on my lift and it seems good looks great but don't know how it will hold up. my strg wheel also cleaned up good but i was going to try some auto detailing shine on mine see what it does 

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

Polishing wheel and compound?

• Like 1

Bigtrx34

I like lambs wool buff wheel at low rpm and light compound. 3M polish not cutting compound is my go to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

76c12091520h

A small 2-3 inch buffing wheel in a drill or small hand held cordless buffer works great with some rubbing compound to bring the shine back. A heat gun also does a great job of bringing the color back out, just keep the gun moving and don't get too close; once you get a little heat built up in the area you're working on the color will actually come back out as the oils in the plastic re-flow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

peter lena

303 vinyl / rubber protect ant, https://www.amazon.com/303-30313-CSR-Protectant-Plastic-Fiberglass/dp/B00KN0UOEE, been using this for years on ANYTHING  ,VINYL,RUBBER , SYNTHETIC , for terrific  protection.  all of my car trim, stays black and shinny, with a very slick finish .  my pontoon boat, swim fins . this solution will feed the vinyl finish and help bring it back . my fishing line . worth a try, pete

• Thanks 1

prondzy

Wetsand 1000 grit plus and some plastic polish is about it Jim. If you polish it on the tractor you can pretend your diving it in the garage, just dont let the wife see ya!

Edited by prondzy
  • Haha 1

WHX??

I picked up a 4 in buffing wheel & arbor for a drill and some polishing compound for plastic at ACE. I think they saw me coming on the polish. It was in a old package and looked like it was ther since 1932! It was useless so I grabbed some mothers aluminum mag polish off the shelf. It didn't do the worse job. Will work it some more and try some other polishes off the shelf. Will also try the heat gun trick. 

WHNJ701

another option is buy a bottle of "future floor wax",  it's a high gloss liquid acrylic.  alot of hobby plastic car and airplane builders use it as a cheap high gloss clear coat.  it works really well on plastic.  works on car headlights too

• Thanks 1

mooxster

Try flame-polishing. Had great success buffing up dull plastic parts for RVs and pinball machines that way.

• Thanks 1