ri702bill

Two of my Round Hoods

Pullstart

Those are two cool tractors!  I’d love to see what they’d look like with the front tires swapped, they seem to have the character to deserve that.  Those wide turfs are just as sweet as the ags!

• Haha 1

Sparky
11 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I’d love to see what they’d look like with the front tires swapped

Dang Kevin! Great minds think alike....I was just about to type the same thing about front tire swapping.

Nice couple a round hoods Bill :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

857 horse
16 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Those are two cool tractors!  I’d love to see what they’d look like with the front tires swapped, they seem to have the character to deserve that.  Those wide turfs are just as sweet as the ags!

:text-yeahthat:         GOOD EYE PULLSTART..................I WOULD GO WITH DOOR #1 AS WELL ,,,,,,,,,,,,AND THAT EXTRA SHIFTER IS WAYYYY TO COOL. !!!!!

• Like 1

Pullstart
2 minutes ago, 857 horse said:

:text-yeahthat:         GOOD EYE PULLSTART..................I WOULD GO WITH DOOR #1 AS WELL ,,,,,,,,,,,,AND THAT EXTRA SHIFTER IS WAYYYY TO COOL. !!!!!

Good eye Howard!  I missed the 8 speed swap, I was so fascinated with two round hoods full of Kohlers and sweet tires!

@ri702bill my Putt Putt 502 has a ‘78 C-101 8 speed, a ‘64 frame and an 8 hp. Kohler.  practically twins!  Well maybe cousins...

9842CAE5-AD06-4430-867D-FA8F6E01A922.jpeg

EE50D6DC-CEB1-4812-AF9D-8CEEEE34C726.jpeg

• Thanks 1

ri702bill

Thanks to all for the nice comments. The rear tires were switched to narrow up the 702 as it lives at the back of the garage. The 8 speed is great for plowing as we fan out the cars on the grass when it snows and plow thru between them. The low range is handy for cutting the grass in confined areas.

Bill

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ri702bill

Mike:

You must live right near Tony (docwheelhorse). We bought a few 36" decks and a couple of mule drives from him last year - decent guy.

Bill

moe1965

Interesting swap on the trans.  I have a extre 8 speed laying around.  You got me thinking of switching my 854 over.  Was it a easy swap as far as bolt on and off and using the same drive belt????????

Pullstart
50 minutes ago, moe1965 said:

Interesting swap on the trans.  I have a extre 8 speed laying around.  You got me thinking of switching my 854 over.  Was it a easy swap as far as bolt on and off and using the same drive belt????????

Not terrible.  You need to clearance the tool box for the 8 speed shifter and I have yet to come up with a parking brake lever.  The 6 speed transmission has a bit different brake band setup.

ri702bill

Moe:

The 8 speed is not a drop in swap. As I recall....

The 4 bolt pattern on both Unidrives are the same.

Needed a new input pulley - 4 speed has a 3/4" bore, the 8 speed is 5/8". McMaster Carr.

The drive belt is shorter for the 8 speed with that pulley - 69" instead of 70"

Had to hole saw a 1" hole in the bottom of the tower for the Hi-Lo shifter.

Had to shorten the Hi-Lo lever.

Used the original 4 speed Lever.

Had to shorten the dipstick and tube quite a bit - 4 inches or so.

Used the brake rod from a Raider style WH, as the action is backwards of that for the 4 speed.

No easy way to hook up a parking brake lever, so there is none.

ri702bill

What Pullstart said!

Sparky
1 hour ago, ri702bill said:

Mike:

You must live right near Tony (docwheelhorse). We bought a few 36" decks and a couple of mule drives from him last year - decent guy.

Bill

Right next door. 

ri702bill

Sparky:

Too bad I did not know before my son and I went to see doc - would have liked to stop by...…….

Bill

• Like 1

ri702bill

OK folks, I dug up a few pictures of the 702 with the 4 turf tires on it. Older pictures, as it still has the 6 HP style muffler on it then. Enjoy.

Bill

Tractor July 2011 019.JPG

Tractor July 2011 020.JPG

Tractor July 2011 021.JPG

Tractor July 2011 022.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Looks great!

Tractorhead

Whow, good shape.