Mr Magoo

C-120 Auto #2

richmondred01

The head looks nice.

• Like 1

Mr Magoo
10 hours ago, tunahead72 said:

Good luck, and keep us posted! :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

What is that you used as the base for your sandpaper?

It is a granite surface plate 9"x12"x2". I bought it from grizzly.com. It was $41.68 shipped to my door. It have also used it to resurface and true up some other projects I am working on. 

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Mr Magoo

I got it fired up today, but it wasn't pretty.

First off, the fuel pump is not pumping the fuel. I could get it to flow only by gravity. It looks to be the original. I'm not sure what I will do with that yet. Not sure if I want to try one of the replacements, a pulse, or I may order a rebuild kit from Then and Now Automotive. 

It would only run with the choke partially closed, so obviously the carb needs some attention. I do have  a new one, so I may throw that on while I rebuild the original. 

I found that the wire leading to the breaker points is missing insulation so I will replace that. I also have new points and a condenser to put on it, but forgot to bring them to the property. 

The next issue was that I did get quite a bit of smoke on first start, but not so much after it warmed up a bit. It smelled really bad. Probably has not run in more than 15 years and it smelled like a combination of burnt mouse nest and oil. Maybe fluffy had a nest in the muffler. My wife was also trying to work in the barn while I was doing this and was not happy! I agreed that next time I would roll it outside to start it up.

One good thing is that I did engaged the hydro and she went forward and reverse. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

Better news than what sounded like the engine might do with that piston worn!

• Like 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, pullstart said:

Better news than what sounded like the engine might do with that piston worn!

Agreed

Mr Magoo

So today I decided to pull the carb off to clean it. That was an exercise in frustration! What evil genius designed the mounting flange where the bolts are trapped in between the flange and and the body? I really can not even get a wrench fully on the bolt on the left side. I'm thinking I will need a thin wrench or maybe a thin crow foot wrench to work it. For the life of me I can't understand why they are slotted either. No way I'm getting a screw driver on them. Am I missing something here?

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, Mr Magoo said:

Am I missing something here?

No you ain't. 

It really was an evil nasty person with tiny little hands whut done that.

:confusion-shrug::lol:

Right or wrong, what I do is use a thin wrench to loosen or tighten them against the engine.

Moving them in and out I use a screwdriver that's fairly narrow and long to clear the carb.

1/2 turn, move screwdriver to other side of same screw head. Repeat 2 or 4 times.

Go to other screw and do it again.

It's time consuming and drives you crazy and I don't need that help but it works... Slowly.

Just keep working back and forth.

• Like 3

Pullstart
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

No you ain't. 

It really was an evil nasty person with tiny little hands whut done that.

:confusion-shrug::lol:

Right or wrong, what I do is use a thin wrench to loosen or tighten them against the engine.

Moving them in and out I use a screwdriver that's fairly narrow and long to clear the carb.

1/2 turn, move screwdriver to other side of same screw head. Repeat 2 or 4 times.

Go to other screw and do it again.

It's time consuming and drives you crazy and I don't need that help but it works... Slowly.

Just keep working back and forth.

And there we have it.  A new manual.  

I do the same and agree, there should have been a wider bolt pattern or better clamp design of some type!

• Like 2

Mr Magoo

I had it up and running today, but not good. It is chuffing smoke like crazy and the plug was all oiled up. I was kind of figuring this would be the result. 

I have some decisions to make now. Not sure if I will see about taking it to .030” over, look for a short block, or put it up for sale. For now it is going into mothballs because I have another big honking telescope restoration I need to get done. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

tunahead72

Sorry to hear that.  Sometimes it's best to just walk away for a bit and get a different perspective, see what comes to you.  Keep us posted.

And if your telescope restoration happens to involve any photos at all, I'm sure nobody here would object to seeing them. :wwp:

• Like 3

ebinmaine
35 minutes ago, tunahead72 said:

Sorry to hear that.  Sometimes it's best to just walk away for a bit and get a different perspective, see what comes to you.  Keep us posted.

And if your telescope restoration happens to involve any photos at all, I'm sure nobody here would object to seeing them. :wwp:

Agreed

• Like 1

Pullstart

Well it sounds like you are not in any hurry.  You might just happen to find a donor engine while you do up the telescope!

• Like 1

Mr Magoo

So I picked up a long block this week. Hoping it works out. I only paid $50.00 for it.

Someone had the head off of it and cleaned it all up. It does have a STD piston in it which I was glad to see. Cylinder looks okay and the piston looks concentric in the bore not like my original. 

One thing I seemed to notice  is that when I rotate it through, the valves seem to come up more than my old one. Could be mistaken. 

One other question I have is that it has a wires coming from behind the flywheel which I assume is the stator. I guess I never noticed this wire if my original C-120 engine has one. Again, my tractors are not here with me, but at a weekend property and I can't look at it right now. I didn't notice it on my other C-120 either, but I did not have to tear into it much to get it running. Is it safe to assume that they both have a stator or is there a different charging system on some?

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I'm thinking both should have a stator.

On mine it's a black (or red) sleeve with the 2 wires in it. Comes out from behind the flywheel by the starter.

• Like 1

Mr Magoo
Just now, ebinmaine said:

I'm thinking both should have a stator.

On mine it's a black (or red) sleeve with the 2 wires in it. Comes out from behind the flywheel by the starter.

That's what this one has. Someone chopped it off so I will have to put some new terminals on it and extend it. A tree fell on the tractor and crushed it from the steering wheel on back. Missed the motor to my good fortune. 

• Like 1

Mr Magoo

Still won't run. Turn the key and nothing happens. :lol:

IMG_2427.JPG

• Haha 1

ebinmaine

I wouldn't be too concerned.

Probably a loose ground.

:lol:

Mr Magoo

Getting ready for a heart transplant. The ugly one on the left is actually the new one. 

EFCBE241-0F2E-47A4-803E-AF8E8E5C1821.jpeg

• Like 1

richmondred01

Never meet an ugly k series.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1