1988SS

Rear Hitch Capacity - 314- 8

1988SS

I'm about to move a car hauler trailer and can't find the max tongue weight I can attach....what is the tongue weight capacity?...thanks

ps...I've only had this tractor for a week..new to this.

ebinmaine

With these tractors it's not about how much you can push down on the tongue.

It's about how much you can STOP.

The brake mechanism is not very large and only intended for stopping the tractor itself.

Will it hold it? Will it move it? Probably?

Will it stop it?..........

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

There is no official hitch weight.   I assume it is an empty car carrier.  as Eric said stopping it is an issue.  But to move an empty trailer around on the level probably not too dangerous.  Car carriers come in many sizes...... My feeling is if you can pick up the tongue and put it on you are OK to move it around..  If you have to have to use a tongue jack i wouldn't do it.

• Like 4

Lee1977

Most of us that move trailers around with our Wheel Horses have a receiver hitch that clamps to the axle housings and is also supported at the rear of the transmission.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 2

Ed Kennell

Stopping a 2000 lb load with a 500lb tractor is a problem.        Level ground you will probably be OK, but be aware when pulling a heavy load with a large tongue weight, a 500 lb tractor can go vertical very quickly.            I like to use the front hitch to move my trailers.       Much easier to push into tight quarters and no danger of the tractor flipping.

I also keep the trailer tongue  jack  lowered for safety.

• Like 4

CCW

I have moved a yard of top soil with my 312-8 on level ground.  Slow but doable.  Also I balanced the load by moving some soil to the back of the trailer to lighten the tongue weight.

SylvanLakeWH
57 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Stopping a 2000 lb load with a 500lb tractor is a problem.        Level ground you will probably be OK, but be aware when pulling a heavy load with a large tongue weight, a 500 lb tractor can go vertical very quickly.            I like to use the front hitch to move my trailers.       Much easier to push into tight quarters and no danger of the tractor flipping.

I also keep the trailer tongue  jack  lowered for safety.

:text-yeahthat: especially the trailer tongue jack suggestion...

No flippy when it’s down!

R Scheer

And if you have someone else around, hand him a wheel chock to through in if things go funky. 

One spot where slow is good.

clueless
20 hours ago, pfrederi said:

There is no official hitch weight.   I assume it is an empty car carrier.  as Eric said stopping it is an issue.  But to move an empty trailer around on the level probably not too dangerous.  Car carriers come in many sizes...... My feeling is if you can pick up the tongue and put it on you are OK to move it around..  If you have to have to use a tongue jack i wouldn't do it.

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1