Jtbwheels

14hp breakerless kholer ignition module and coil is bad

Jtbwheels

I have a 14 horse breakerless ball bearing compression release engine out of a 69 Wheel Horse gt14 automatic I was wondering if I can take the ignition module coil box out of a Craftsman 12 horse breakerless motor and put it on my Kohler What would the difference be and will it work

pfrederi

Welcome to Red Square.

If the Craftsmen used a kohler 12 horse it will work...However most Craftsmen used Tecumseh engines.  Their solid stat ignition is completely different.  (but if it is in working condition it is worth money sell it and buy  points and a coil for your Kohler.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2

Herder
37 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Welcome to Red Square.

If the Craftsmen used a kohler 12 horse it will work...However most Craftsmen used Tecumseh engines.  Their solid stat ignition is completely different.  (but if it is in working condition it is worth money sell it and buy  points and a coil for your Kohler.

Have you done this conversion before?  I have two of these Kohler and was wounding how to install the pushrod for the points.  Do you drill the block?   

pfrederi

All the holes you need are there.  The plunger hole will have a.sheet metal plug in it you dig out. Buy an internally resisted coil  condenser and a new ignition switch and you are in business.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

Here is some information I found on Brian Miller's site.

• Thanks 1

Jtbwheels

It is a tecumesh i just thought it would work wst is the difference if i may ask

pfrederi
2 minutes ago, Jtbwheels said:

It is a tecumesh i just thought it would work wst is the difference if i may ask

I do not know the internal electrical differences but the mounting and triggering are completely different.  It is not hard to convert you GT-14 Kohler to a battery points ignition system.  If the techy module works they sell for $100 or more.  Would finance your new battery ignition system...

cafoose

Check this out:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Herder
4 hours ago, pfrederi said:

All the holes you need are there.  The plunger hole will have a.sheet metal plug in it you dig out. Buy an internally resisted coil  condenser and a new ignition switch and you are in business.

I will take a better look at one of the 14 horse engines I have.  Thank you.  Seems that the electronic ignition systems or conversions are a bit complicated.  :scratchead: 

Jtbwheels

I just set up my own electronic ignition with a GM Pontiac Firebird around a 70s or 60s model ignition module for pin and then bought a coil and replace the trigger with a Ford 2003 F150 rear ABS sensor I connected the two wires that come off of it to the left side terminals on the ignition module then on the right side of the ignition module I connected a hot on the bottom terminal that went to the positive side of the coil then on the top terminal a wire to the negative side of the terminal and Bam I had ignition. All together I think I spent under 50. And the great thing is it only took me a half an hour to set it up

Edited by Jtbwheels
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

953 nut
9 hours ago, Jtbwheels said:

great thing is it only took me a half an hour to set it up

:bow-blue:

You are the man!             Please post a little more information on this setup and how it works, it sounds like you have a grasp on this subject and this old dog would love to learn a new trick or two.

:wwp:

Jtbwheels

I will get u some pics today and parts list 

• Like 2

Jtbwheels

I will get u some pics today and parts list 

• Excellent 1

Jtbwheels

Here is the feed i got to get the kholer back running... sorry it took so long and I didn't have pictures I had it all running but had to tear the head off and probably pull bottom end out swap out wrist pin or even rod hope not