Al C.

Things that go with Wheel Horses ...

Ed Kennell

These sets bring big bucks at the auctions....If the box is decent.

• Like 1

tom2p

been going to flea markets almost every weekend for 20+ years ; often arrive before 6:30 am

also attend large comic and toy shows

seen a number of neat vintage toys - but don't recall the bridge and turnpike building set or the cape canaveral missile set 

both are especially neat 

Edited by tom2p

Ed Kennell

Several sets on E-bay for $50-$100.

tom2p
On 1/17/2020 at 7:12 AM, N875ED said:

What i would have given for a toy like this 50 years ago, but damn if it ain't the wrong colors!

Tractor.png

me also !

fortunately my kids were able to enjoy them 

one we had was extra cool - neat little truck with 4wd and 4ws 

kids had a lot of fun with this one because it worked well off road and would go over obstacles (small logs etc)

installed a 'hitch' so they could tow small wagon 

it was similar to this one:

17FA3BE0-8AF6-4A91-9657-9AA5E954AFE2.jpeg

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 1

JCM

I also grew up with an erector set and played with that so much that the motor had that funny electrical smell if I remember correctly. This Johnny Express tractor trailer was one of my favorites and I truly believe that is how I first learned the basics of backing a trailer right in the living room. I would set up all kind of obstacles with anything I could and try to back that up without hitting anything.I think the cord off the controller was roughly only 5 or 6' long and was thinking on modifying it to at least 10' but thought that may not be a good idea once the old man got home from work and found out I ruined it, RUN. Unfortunately my Mom did not like clutter and as I got a little older all those toys seem to had vanished. This pic would be around 1967. Does anyone remember these.

Childhood.jpg

• Excellent 3

sergeant
On 1/15/2020 at 6:47 AM, prondzy said:

Sorry grew up in the late 80's this was my Erector set: LEGOGettyImages_1061366996.0.jpg.1aacf74c365adf23bbf9aded332c5618.jpg

Well even Us Kids In the 60's & 70's  Had Lego. Matter of Fact I still have Rubber Maid container sitting In My Basement full of Lego Just couldn't Pass it down to my kids:ROTF::handgestures-thumbupright:

• Haha 2

sergeant

double post

Edited by sergeant
double post

tom2p
1 hour ago, sergeant said:

Well even Us Kids In the 60's & 70's  Had Lego. Matter of Fact I still have Rubber Maid container sitting In My Basement full of Lego Just couldn't Pass it down to my kids:ROTF::handgestures-thumbupright:

some neat LEGO sets in the 70's .... late 70's / early 80's - especially the Technic sets 

like this one :

5646695B-4BF4-48B2-A8E5-17555DF7E31A.jpeg

1C8F23A5-C61E-46E7-9685-FEDF8A9BFBE2.png

• Like 2

sergeant

When it came to Lego Don't think I ever grew Up as I was still collecting it thru My 20's and Maybe even early 30's( when You rent off Post Nobody Has to know) as I always rented off Post in the 21 Plus years I was On Active Duty In the Army  Heck I got a Lego James Bond Aston Martian DB5 a few years ago from My Oldest Child. Her twin Brother & Her Younger Brother think were Both Nuts because we still collect Lego and sometime still give it as gifts and I'm in My Mid 50's :ROTF::handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by sergeant
  • Haha 3

ohiofarmer

We had the square Lincoln Logs. They stayed in excellent shape and were added to every Christmas. Of course with Rin tin tin a popular show, we always built forts..   We finally got our first shared BB gun and terrorized the sparrow population. They just took off for the ends of the barn and exited out the shingle lath gaps. We actually hit quite a number on the wing.. Then there were the straw forts in the hay mow complete with corn cob fights.   Then there was sweeping the barn when the fights got out of hand:ranting:    Now the kids need conflict resolution from a counselor. Maybe they just need dads with barns to sweep.  We also built Tommy guns from table saw scraps from the lumber yard.  Everyone wanted to be sgt Saunders from the TV show Combat.

Later we were on the tractors plowing with mechanical setting plows. One foot covering the clutch and the other foot on the steering brake as you pulled the lever at the exact right time so the pawl caught and the plow rose out of the ground. Dad was one of the few who had a Diesel. I still remember that Waukeshaw  making the muffler glow red plowing at night on the red clay wet spots.

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Excellent 3

tom2p
19 hours ago, sergeant said:

When it came to Lego Don't think I ever grew Up as I was still collecting it thru My 20's and Maybe even early 30's( when You rent off Post Nobody Has to know) as I always rented off Post in the 21 Plus years I was On Active Duty In the Army  Heck I got a Lego James Bond Aston Martian DB5 a few years ago from My Oldest Child. Her twin Brother & Her Younger Brother think were Both Nuts because we still collect Lego and sometime still give it as gifts and I'm in My Mid 50's :ROTF::handgestures-thumbupright:

you might be considered an AFOL

Adult Fan Of LEGO

started innocently with us ... our LEGO collection grew and grew as we accumulated containers of bricks and sets from flea markets and garage sales over a number of years 

• Haha 1

Stepney

The story is much too long to post here.. but in very short:
My grandfather had a 1968 WH Electro 12 since Lassie was a pup. I grew up running that, riding in his lap since before I could walk. 
But as time went by, when I was 6, my mother had brought home this 'toy train with 3 wheels broke off put together upside down'..
It was of course the pictured Empire steam engine, built by the Metal Ware Corporation. 

(Just looked twice and realised it was the near identical twin to the engine in the photo.. apparently I wasn't using it that day.)
That old steamer and the Electro were my introductions to old iron. 

Eventually moved up to hit and miss engines when I was 9, with a little red Fairbanks Morse. That was my 'toy which could possibly maim you'. 

But this little Empire and it's various accessories were my toys..

0724191132.jpg.df38ee324fcddcb4c1cfca27f5b4b517.jpg

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

@Stepney What is that engine, 8-10” long?  Cool stuff!

Mrs. P and I were quite intrigued by a small setup at the Portland Show last July.  The husband/wife team (he played with engines she was at his side reading mainly) had all kinds of various stuff running on little engines, along with a steam whistle display that you could toot and scream as you wish.  He kept the real loud one for himself!

• Haha 2

Stepney
3 hours ago, pullstart said:

@Stepney What is that engine, 8-10” long?  Cool stuff!

13" long and 6" wide across the base. Flywheel about 3.5". All iron and brass, built somewhere in the later twenties. 
All ages at the show love the little guy. The windmill actually does pump water. 

• Heart 1