Sign in to follow this  
FatJackDurham

For TreePep, GT14 Tach-A-Matic Front

FatJackDurham

TreePep, I don't use a photo linking site, so I couldnt send these in a message.

Here are photos of the front end of the GT-14 and a 500 series showing the difference between the mower decks and how they attach. Since you are trying to attach a 3/4/500 series deck to a GT 14, you will need to add a front Tach-A-Matic hitch bracket and mule drive. Although there is a kind of bracket that fits the old style tractor, you would be better off getting the new style on ebay as it's made to work with the mule drive assemble.

If you look at the deck for the GT 14, you can see that the lift and leveling mechanism is completely different, with a weird long leveling tray that goes back over the deck, and a complicated arrangement of pulleys and levers that have to attach. Finally, the width of the GT14 frame is wider, so make sure your new style deck can connect into the mid frame Tach-A-Matic securely first, then use a string to simulate the belt to align the front bracket to make sure it will clear the axle.

I hope this works out for you, I was going to do this before a kind member here sold me my GT14 deck! So, I'd like to see it done and posted here for future GT-14 and Charger owners.

500 series front deck drive system going around the front axle

500SeriesDeckDriveBeltSystem.jpg

closeup of the front Tach-A-Matic and MuleDrive assembly on the 500 series. Notice that the axle is right up against the bracket.

500SeriesMuleDriveCloseup.jpg

GT14 mower deck drive assembly. Notice how different the deck is from the 500 series deck

GT14DeckDriveConnections.jpg

GT14 deck leveling tray mechanism. Much different and not really possible to duplicate unless you have mad fab skillz

GT14DeckLevelingTray.jpg

GT14 front end. Notice that the frame extends forward of the axle. When you get your bracket, before you drill holes run a string through the whole system to simulate a belt and make sure it won't rub on the axle or steering tie rods and help you find the optimum position.

GT14FrontTachAMaticHoles.jpg

GT14FrontEnd.jpg

Edited by FatJackDurham

Treepep

Pictures are great.  I have met a few nice members with decks.  With free shipping chesoervto convert.  I am sourcing parts based on you links and will update.  I just made room in my garage to fuss with the horse safely alone.  Looks like one belt. A few people have suggested it's two.  Again I did not agree.  Pictures look like v on one pulley on the mule and flat on other pulley.

Thank you sir.

pfrederi

There was an adapter to hold a front mule drive older horses.  I put it up against my GT14.  You would have to drill another hole in the frame but the big problem is you r frame is wider than regular horses it would require some fab skill to mount the narrower mule drive.  Lift and leveling are another issue.  First pic is on GT14 second is the adapter on a Charger.

IMG_0230.JPG

IMG_0231.JPG

• Excellent 1

FatJackDurham
7 hours ago, Treepep said:

Pictures are great.  I have met a few nice members with decks.  With free shipping chesoervto convert.  I am sourcing parts based on you links and will update.  I just made room in my garage to fuss with the horse safely alone.  Looks like one belt. A few people have suggested it's two.  Again I did not agree.  Pictures look like v on one pulley on the mule and flat on other pulley.

Thank you sir.

One belt

FatJackDurham

pfrederi, what lift and leveling issues do you think he is likely to have? clearance? I do feel that the GT 14 seems lower.

Treepep

I initially made a bumper to mount the mule drive to exploit existing holes in the frame rails.  Drive was mounted at the center. It seemed fine but to reach inner P.T.O. pulley it would rub on the cast iron front end.  Generation two is lower and cheated to the edge of the passenger side of the frame.  So far so good.  Some belt drag with guards on so they are removed.  Experienced members say run free.  Looking for a shorter belt now so I have longer life and more adjustment.

20200125_104000_001.jpg

20200125_104024.jpg

20200125_104052.jpg