1990Onan520-H

Need some P220G experts... Got a tap/knock

1990Onan520-H
31 minutes ago, Mudrig150 said:

Should be pretty easy, just tedious. Remove valves or get something to hold them open, push the tappets in, and then you should be able to just pull the cam out.

If need be, pull the gear off.

We only own 2 B-series, but that should be the process.

Well valves and timing cover are off already anyway. So governer off and i guess there is some kind of retainer to hold the can in or does it all just slide out? I'm not near the engine or service manual at the moment so just curious.

Mudrig150
3 minutes ago, 1990Onan520-H said:

Well valves and timing cover are off already anyway. So governer off and i guess there is some kind of retainer to hold the can in or does it all just slide out? I'm not near the engine or service manual at the moment so just curious.

I think- Don't quote me on this, that it just slides out. It's like a car camshaft. Should've been held in my the cover.

Edited by Mudrig150

1990Onan520-H
2 minutes ago, Mudrig150 said:

I think- Don't quote me on this, that it just slides out. It's like a car camshaft.

Oh well that would be nice. I'll take a look this weekend. Maybe do that before pulling pistons because if the cam bearings are shot it's done.

onanparts.com
13 hours ago, 1990Onan520-H said:

Oh well that would be nice. I'll take a look this weekend. Maybe do that before pulling pistons because if the cam bearings are shot it's done.

Lifters/tappets all need to be removed before pulling the cam. If the cam bearing at the gear end is good, you will destroy it if great care is not used when pulling the cam out. The P220G has a high lift cam, and will only come out nice and easy if in correct position/positions, relative to the open/notched area of the cam bearing. If force is used at any point during removal, what might be a good cam bearing will be toast.....

onancamnotched.jpg

• Thanks 1

1990Onan520-H
On 2/2/2020 at 3:08 PM, bcgold said:

Would like to see some pictures of those pistons.

Here's the piston from the damaged cylinder. No rings are stuck in either cylinder and rod journals look great. Wrist pins tight and all clips in place. Lifters are also free to move. I'm wondering if this gear play is normal and the tap was out of adjustment valves. At this point I think I'm going to buy all new gaskets and seals and throw it back together hoping for the best. The engine seems to be in decent shape for 1000 hours and 32 years.

0206201816.jpg

• Thanks 1

troutbum70

Looks like you have been on what Trump calls a witch Hunt. Had you during your journey done a valve tappet adjustment? 

1990Onan520-H
1 hour ago, troutbum63 said:

Looks like you have been on what Trump calls a witch Hunt. Had you during your journey done a valve tappet adjustment? 

Not yet, but I will be doing one. They were out of spec for sure. Intake valve had zero clearance and the exhaust I believe too much.

Cleaned out the piston rings, although they were not in bad shape at all. Going to order a complete gasket set tonight to reseal it all and toss it back together. Just going to hope she has another few hundred hours left in her.

I put the pistons back in tonight too so reassemly has started. Also as a side note, when I pulled the pistons out there was no ridge. They came out no problem.

troutbum70

Best of luck may it live on for many more hours.

1990Onan520-H

Well... just ordered the rest of the seals from onanparts.com (re-gasketing/sealing the entire engine and doing a full de-grease on it). Decided to get the valves ground also. I'm already into it around 200 bucks, so why be stupid and do things half way. Hopefully the gear play is normal and the tap was out of spec valves or heck, maybe something in the belt system was resonating and making me think it was an engine tap. As soon as I get the gaskets in I'm going to toss it back together and hope for the best.

• Like 1

bc.gold

Bump