Pullstart
19 minutes ago, Cvans said:

Straight 8.

I bet that sounds mean!

• Like 1

Cvans
1 minute ago, pullstart said:

I bet that sounds mean!

It is a very smooth engine. Surprisingly peppy for just 70hp. Starts easily and idles nicely but has a few noises. I have to tell myself that it is 90 years old. They had week castings though and mine has been welded in the crankcase area near the oil pump. Also a crack in the water jacket. Neither are serious and doesn't affect the performance. I'm still on the learning curve with this car and would like to find another engine to start rebuilding.

• Like 1

bc.gold
58 minutes ago, Cvans said:

It is a very smooth engine. Surprisingly peppy for just 70hp. Starts easily and idles nicely but has a few noises. I have to tell myself that it is 90 years old. They had week castings though and mine has been welded in the crankcase area near the oil pump. Also a crack in the water jacket. Neither are serious and doesn't affect the performance. I'm still on the learning curve with this car and would like to find another engine to start rebuilding.

Fluid drive coupled to a standard transmission?

A buddy has a 59 DeSoto 2 door ht with the Hemi, his daughter Charmaine has a DeSoto with the 383, she  is a wee bit of a woman probably 100 lbs wet. She certainly opens eyes climbing in behind the wheel of her DeSoto.

The father also has a Jeep Wagoneer that he transplanted a 454 big block under the hood, easy swap as jeep had used the turbo 400 transmission. Swapped out the guts from the jeep case into a GM.

I love flat head engine, my two favorites the ford V8 and the Hudson.

Adding twin carbs will improve the performance of your inline 8.

To help you find another engine what year are we keeping an eye open for.

Edited by bcgold
  • Excellent 1

Cvans
23 minutes ago, bcgold said:

I love flat head engine, my two favorites the ford V8 and the Hudson.

I think my all time favorite engine was the last of the flat head V-8's. The ones where you could get to the distributor. I had a 52 PU and loved the sound of it. 

The Hudson Hornet had quite and engine in it. I think they made a good race car in their day. 

Dodge and DeSoto both had straight 8's in 30 and 31. I think Chrysler may have had it later than that. In some of the later ones they added webbing to the casting to strengthen the blocks. Please keep in mind that I'm still not very knowledgeable about these cars. 

bc.gold
13 minutes ago, Cvans said:

I think my all time favorite engine was the last of the flat head V-8's. The ones where you could get to the distributor. I had a 52 PU and loved the sound of it. 

The Hudson Hornet had quite and engine in it. I think they made a good race car in their day. 

Dodge and DeSoto both had straight 8's in 30 and 31. I think Chrysler may have had it later than that. In some of the later ones they added webbing to the casting to strengthen the blocks. Please keep in mind that I'm still not very knowledgeable about these cars. 

From what I've seen on your C-160 diesel project your a very capable individual, would be cool if you started a thread in unrelated thread on your DeSoto.

• Like 1

Cvans
1 hour ago, bcgold said:

From what I've seen on your C-160 diesel project your a very capable individual, would be cool if you started a thread in unrelated thread on your DeSoto.

Thanks for the compliment. Just a shade tree engineer. 

The plan is next week to start work on the DeSoto and start a new thread here. 

Boy have I got a mess to clean up in the shop after the WH project. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, Cvans said:

shade tree engineer

Often the best kind.

Real world physical experience combined with half a brain and we'd be dangerous.

:lol:

• Haha 1

ebinmaine

I'll be really looking forward to the thread on the 'soto cah.

• Like 1

Pullstart

If you RE-power a DE-Soto, would that become a ReSoto?

4716E101-1B73-4111-A1B9-6B0EE497E31C.jpeg

• Haha 3

Cvans
20 hours ago, pullstart said:

If you RE-power a DE-Soto, would that become a ReSoto?

I love it. 

Today before cleaning the shop I brought the WH-D in and installed a digital volt meter and got the alternator charging. Adjusted the belt guard so it didn't touch the idler pulley. Then cleaned the shop. 

Installed the original Lister muffler and it fit under the hood. To me it looks a lot better.

20200316_170209.jpg.c324b177033aa30c6a2f0557ffc965bc.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
1 minute ago, Cvans said:

I love it. 

Today before cleaning the shop I brought the WH-D in and installed a digital volt meter and got the alternator charging. Adjusted the belt guard so it didn't touch the idler pulley. Then cleaned the shop. 

Installed the original Lister muffler and it fit under the hood. To me it looks a lot better.

20200316_170209.jpg.c324b177033aa30c6a2f0557ffc965bc.jpg

I think Hot Wheels has virtually the same volt meter, but red LEDs!  They work great, huh?

• Like 1

Cvans

So far I've had excellent luck with these inexpensive units. This is the first round one I've used and it's much easier to install than the rectangular ones.