ZXT

Looks great! How tall is that diesel? Does it require any modifications to the hood?

ebinmaine

Awesome build.

I'll be here following...

• Like 2

JCM

Hood looks great, almost replicates the 3,4, and 500 series hood.

• Like 1

Achto
6 hours ago, Cvans said:

This is what the raised hood looks like.

I like the raised hood:handgestures-thumbupright: May be a filler piece that kinda follows the yellow lines in this pic would dress it up even more. It would help hide fuel tank also.

1890644219_WHtoLister013_JPG_c25bf580b189949384b448fffe14b2a9.jpg.7f8ab7c3dde1bd318633561a86646c4b.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH

:bow-blue:

Cvans
11 hours ago, ZXT said:

Looks great! How tall is that diesel? Does it require any modifications to the hood?

Yes it does. There are two solutions that I've come up with. One is to raise the hood and the other is is to cut an opening in the hood and make a fiberglass hood scoop to cover it. 

This is what the raised hood looks like.

1890644219_WHtoLister013.JPG.c25bf580b189949384b448fffe14b2a9.JPG

They are not in this photo but later in the project pieces were made to hide the tank. Belt guards were made and the straight pipe removed. I agree it does look a little tacky this way. 

• Like 3

Pullstart

How does that monster do for fuel sippage?  I imagine it’s quite decent compared to an equivalent powered gasser?

Cvans

It uses very little fuel. The internal mass of this engine is huge. A lister rep. told me that the Crankshaft weighs as much as the flywheel which is big.

They run these on the Valdez pipeline at the monitoring stations. He said they run 6 months non stop on 300 gals of fuel. They fly in fuel, shut them down for service and then they are restarted for 6 more months. If the hour meter is correct this one has around 470 hours on it. They were designed for 10K hours and have been know to go 40k before an overhaul. I had two of these but sold one to a fellow in Maine. 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

Cvans

This is not going to be an original WH by any stretch so I have a question. Any thoughts on a good color combination? Maybe some that would make it look like a 20's or 30's tractor to go along with the sound of the engine. All suggestions will be considered. It should blend with the engine color though. NO JD colors please. Maybe something like this.

Image result for 1920's tractor photos

Red is still an option as I have Wheel horse decals for it. 

Edited by Cvans
  • Like 1

19richie66

Can't go wrong with black, charcoal grey or white with the engine color. Should look neat.

• Like 1

Cvans

Grey would be another good color. Would be easier to keep clean. Something like the grey WH color or a little darker. 

Thanks.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
18 hours ago, Cvans said:

heavier built trans-axle.

I'm curious to know what went wrong with the first one and what you did to improve your current transmission.

• Like 1

Stormin
10 hours ago, Achto said:

I like the raised hood:handgestures-thumbupright: May be a filler piece that kinda follows the yellow lines in this pic would dress it up even more. It would help hide fuel tank also.

1890644219_WHtoLister013_JPG_c25bf580b189949384b448fffe14b2a9.jpg.7f8ab7c3dde1bd318633561a86646c4b.jpg

That's what I was thinking.  Is there a reason why the engine could not be a couple of inches or so further back? Just thinking of weight distribution.

• Like 1

Skipper

Or a bit longer up in front, and have the generator down at the steering fan gear? That would make it easier to shield off the belts :-)

What about pto output?

• Like 3

Cvans
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I'm curious to know what went wrong with the first one and what you did to improve your current transmission.

It stripped the gears. It sounded really bad when it happened so I didn't even open it up to look. The first one was kind of an experiment that I grew to like a lot. One of those I have a tractor and an engine so lets see what happens things.  A neighbor up the street who used to build pulling tractors was impressed and wanted me to pull with it. Was just fun to see what it would move and we abused it.

2 hours ago, Stormin said:

Is there a reason why the engine could not be a couple of inches or so further back? Just thinking of weight distribution.

I weigh 230 Lbs. and need weight on the front wheels so it will turn in the soft garden dirt. It now wears a pair of knobby snowblower tires on the front and still wants to slide when turning at the end of the rows. I've thought about weights on the front. 

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Or a bit longer up in front, and have the generator down at the steering fan gear? That would make it easier to shield off the belts :-)

That is actually a good idea and I will look into it. All the shields are made but it would leave more room for the battery. Thanks for the suggestion!   :thanks:

• Like 1

Pullstart

You’re just a bit further away from @WHX24‘s plow day than I am.  I bet there’s a few guys who would drool all over that thing turning a furrow in October!

9E28879F-213F-4410-96F7-3D874F2D3B99.jpeg

• Like 3

Lee1977

I would raise the steering wheel and rear fender  with larger tires. I  have already done that with my 312-8. 

SAM-1001-2.jpg

THe front has been raised too, with reinforce 6" spindles and 8" wheels and tri-ribs'

'SAM-0865.jpg

Edited by Lee1977
  • Excellent 1

Cvans

The steering is an option for sure.  A new steering shaft is being installed so it wouldn't take much to lengthen it. The rear fender pan was raised but I might go higher as I can't lift it very high without hitting the tires. 

Thanks for your thoughts. 

Nice looking WH. :thumbs:

Edited by Cvans
  • Like 2

Achto
8 hours ago, pullstart said:

You’re just a bit further away from @WHX24‘s plow day than I am.  I bet there’s a few guys who would drool all over that thing turning a furrow in October!

Radpherd, my 1045D would probably like having another diesel to hang with. :)

10531E74-F010-4862-887E-0752C019E50C_jpeg_26d36d77ecb98f2afc9f304ca764566e.jpg.963b030c7fc5e44c463731442b459d9c.jpgA4A46B23-BF2B-4FF7-B699-DA0BB2D3423C_jpeg_4489b934bb80c499c5e2a8ff35c33d3f.jpg.6ae98eac29b89d6eabfff2ac6132fb32.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 3

Cvans
46 minutes ago, Achto said:

my 1045D would probably like having another diesel to hang with. :)

You did a really nice job of putting that together. Who's diesel did you us and has it had any problems?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cvans

Set the engine in the frame today and tried fitting the alternator into to lower rear side. Close but no cigar. :disgust: The back of the alternator is almost touching the steering gear and shaft. And if I were to leave it there the belt guard would cover much of the footrest. So I guess it will be in front. 

Then I ran into another problem. After welding in the motor mounts I can't remove the steering shaft. Thought I would take out the shaft that the pedals go on but found out that they are welded inside the frame. Guess l'll have to cut the pedal shaft and then make a split coupler to put over it after the steering is back together. 

20200108_135818.jpg

20200108_140320.jpg

20200108_140019.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Sad 1

Achto
31 minutes ago, Cvans said:

You did a really nice job of putting that together. Who's diesel did you us and has it had any problems?

Thank you :)

The engine is a Hatz model 1B40, it's rated at 9.9HP, & 18.4 ft-lb of torque. After many hours of plowing I did develop some belt slippage. Other than that the only issue I've had is getting the engine to work. I've yet to make it pull on the governor.:D At Jim's there was some soil changes on part of the field where it got harder to pull the plow. Entering this part you would hear the tranny gears working harder but the engine would never changed tone. It was actually quite impressive to me.:)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Achto
41 minutes ago, Cvans said:

After welding in the motor mounts I can't remove the steering shaft

Are you planning on doing a paint job?? If not you should be able to remove the mount for the fan gear/steering column and slide the steering shaft back far enough to service the bearing in front if need be. If you are planning on painting you could do this same thing, service the ends of the shaft, put every thing back together and paint the shaft while it is installed. 

• Like 2