ALEX ANZALONE

417A no crank issue

ALEX ANZALONE

I could use some advice on my 1986 417A. I suspect I have a faulty clutch pedal safety switch as my the tractor will not crank when I turn the key. The clutch pedal indicator light goes on with no other indicator light lights on. The battery is good. Could I connect the two wires going to the switch to bypass it in order to verify the switch is bad. Also is there a replacement for this switch as it seems unavailable everywhere. Thanks, Alex.

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

Yes join the switch wires to temporarily bypass the switch.

110970 no longer available

Wondering if 103480 could be made to work?

Garry

• Like 1

biged77

As a last resort try disassembling the switch and cleaning the contacts and bending the arms if necessary to make connection.  That's what I did and it worked.  There is a plastic cap that you can remove to allow access to the contacts.  It may snap back on or in my case I had to glue it back.  Worth a try if no switch available.  The switch itself is removable by pushing it out through the side panel then disconnecting the wires.  The wires are extremely difficult to remove/reinstall from inside.

Ed

ALEX ANZALONE
On 1/5/2020 at 8:25 PM, gwest_ca said:

Welcome to the forum.

Yes join the switch wires to temporarily bypass the switch.

110970 no longer available

Wondering if 103480 could be made to work?

Garry

Thanks for the reply. Alex.

ALEX ANZALONE
On 1/5/2020 at 9:20 PM, biged77 said:

As a last resort try disassembling the switch and cleaning the contacts and bending the arms if necessary to make connection.  That's what I did and it worked.  There is a plastic cap that you can remove to allow access to the contacts.  It may snap back on or in my case I had to glue it back.  Worth a try if no switch available.  The switch itself is removable by pushing it out through the side panel then disconnecting the wires.  The wires are extremely difficult to remove/reinstall from inside.

Ed

Thanks for the advice. Alex.

ALEX ANZALONE
2 minutes ago, ALEX ANZALONE said:

Thanks for the advice. Alex.

There is a blue wire connected to the black wire that is on the left side looking straight down on the switch. The wires are connected with a spade terminal on the blue wire and a thin piece of metal pushed into the black rubber boot of the black wire. I believe it was not the black rubber boot connecting this combo to the switch but it was the spade terminal. The parts list does not show this wire set up. Any idea what it is? Thanks, Alex.

gwest_ca

There is a wiring diagram here. Click on the picture.

The 2nd wire may be for the idiot light circuit. If the idiot lights do not function they will not affect the operation of the rest of the electrical.

Garry

ALEX ANZALONE
6 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

There is a wiring diagram here. Click on the picture.

The 2nd wire may be for the idiot light circuit. If the idiot lights do not function they will not affect the operation of the rest of the electrical.

Garry

Unfortunately, all the idiot lights work but the tractor does not. I have headlights and taillights and all other safety switches seem to work. I will try to bypass the clutch pedal switch as mentioned before. If that does not work, could possibly be bad connectors going to clutch pedal switch which then I guess I would cut wires in areas where I could resplice them in order to bypass connectors. Also will replace main 25amp fuse just to eliminate that possibility. Hope I am not forgetting something simple. Thanks for the input.