briankd

axle hub set screws

briankd

replacing seals on my c-120 trans and had a hell of a time getting hubs off used puller and acetylene torch ended up breaking one and had to cut it to get it off now have another hub and cleaned the axle shafts up and hubs not fitting tight as i would like.  afraid in the future the hubs won't stay put thought of using some large gap retaining compound which used on my 857 input pulley worked great  but hard to get back off . would drilling and taping a hole 90 degree from original set screw hole and have 2 set screws help keep the hubs from moving or will they still work loose ?

Brian  

Edited by briankd

Ed Kennell

I add a second set screw to all my hubs.    If you want to use one with excess clearance, I would add 3 set screws at 90 degrees from the existing.

Tighten the screw opposite the key first, then the two side screws and lastly the one on the key.    It may stay tight ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

pacer

When I come across this situation (which is pretty common!) and since I already have everything set up, I also go ahead and add 2 extra screws at the 4 & 8 oclock positions. By the way, on your new screw be sure and grind/file a flat spot where the new screw will contact the axle cause itll sure make a mark on the axle causing more difficulty when later having to remove the hub ---- and we already KNOW:bitch: how that can be sometimes!!

• Thanks 1