peter lena

thinking of electric fuel pumps

peter lena

i am thinking about going over to electric fuel pumps on my horses, is there a plate available to cover the original mount point on the block  ? also what is the most reliable and easiest to install pump ?  not having issues now , but just thinking about improving this area, thank you for any input or ideas, pete

Racinbob

I didn't remove the fuel pump. It was still fine but I had issues getting it started that was caused by the fuel tank under the seat. It was likely the issue was made worse because the fuel pump on the Command is higher than a K-series. I just found a cozy spot under the tank to mount the pump and ran it to the original fuel pump. Starting issues completely resolved. I used a Mr. Gasket #42s pump.  :)

1373295339_FuelPump.JPG.486d7fea8d77a7088f87b466d6561ec6.JPG

• Like 5
  • Heart 1

pfrederi

Some I leave the old pump in place ...I have made a couple block off plates ..not hard to do...not very pretty either.

I have had good luck with facet posiflo pumps.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 3

Racinbob

http://kirkengines.com/index.php#AluminumCovers

You can get a cover here :)

• Like 3

Mudrig150

You can get the block off plates from either Jacks small engines or maybe Parts tree for like 10$. KH-240282 From parts tree, 9.08$

biged77

I use a Mr.Gasket 42s. Installed it several years ago under the tank like Racinbob.  No problems since.

Ed

• Like 2

Skipper

I use only electrics on my own machines. I do not run thru the OE pump, but just bypasses it as a minimum. A major reason to go electrical is to eliminate the risk of fuel getting into the crank case if (when) the old pump membrane fails, so I honestly do not fancy the idea of running it thru the old pump............. The electric will if a membrane rips, fill up your crank before you can say enginewentboom.

The goal must be to remove potential problems, and get better startups etc, as a bi-product.

I have installed quite a few of the 10 buck china pumps, and never had one fail. Just don't place it in a hot location, and do let it push, not suck. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

midpack

I left the old pump on mine, ran a length of hose from in to out ports to keep crud out and bypassed it from the electric pump to the carb.

I like the cheapo $12 pumps on Ebay, used them for years without trouble.

Mounted to the console next to the engine as well. 

• Like 1

ZXT

I'd leave the mechanical pump in place and only use the electric pump to prime the mechanical pump if you've got a tractor with the tank under the seat. Having an electric pump running constant is just added noise (cheapo pumps are loud) and an unnecessary strain on your electrical system. I certainly wouldn't run it full time through the mechanical pump, as electric pumps often put out more pressure than a mechanical pump and if the diaphragm rips, you've got issues. 

• Like 1

Racinbob
14 hours ago, Skipper said:

I use only electrics on my own machines. I do not run thru the OE pump, but just bypasses it as a minimum. A major reason to go electrical is to eliminate the risk of fuel getting into the crank case if (when) the old pump membrane fails, so I honestly do not fancy the idea of running it thru the old pump............. The electric will if a membrane rips, fill up your crank before you can say enginewentboom.

The goal must be to remove potential problems, and get better startups etc, as a bi-product.

I have installed quite a few of the 10 buck china pumps, and never had one fail. Just don't place it in a hot location, and do let it push, not suck. 

I didn't think about that. Initially I thought about just energizing the pump to prime the system like Jonah mentioned and then let the mechanical pump take over but fuel won't pull through the 42s and I didn't want to mess with a bypass around the electric pump. Time was kinda at a premium this past summer with the move. Once the weather breaks in the spring I'll be eliminating the mechanical pump.  :)