Mike'sHorseBarn

Deere Hunting

Mike'sHorseBarn

Did a little deere hunting over the holiday season. My dad got one of these and I liked it so much i had to find one for myself! Got the blade hooked up so it should move snow pretty nicely! 

20191230_183020.jpg.2612528067fc4d4458adbc57ccf25ef6.jpg20191230_184947.jpg.fecf32bb913f29c4e5c44d36886ccfe5.jpg20191230_184516.jpg.01dcf1c3d9848370d66e5ca13f0ff0cd.jpg

• Like 2

WHX??

Least it's got a cupholder Mike! :lol:

• Haha 1

WVHillbilly520H

Looks like a multi-cultural garage ... Green Red Yellow what else is hiding in there. I did have an affliction for those style JD until I priced one new that's how I ended up with my Anniversary 520H new nearly $4k difference back in '97-'98 I guess those hydraulic snow blades and green paint were expensive.

wildman

300 series with a 16 hp kohler nice score

T-Mo

The 300 was brought out in 1975 to replace the 140.  Ironically, Deere introduced later a 312 which was a stripped down version of the 300 with a 12 hp K-301 engine in it.  So, in 1978, Deere rebadged the 300 to a 316.  Then, of course, the 316 was replaced by the 317 in 1979.  Also, be aware that there were two 316s, the 1978 Kolher powered one, and then in 1983, Deere made an Onan powered 316, which was an entry level version of the 318.

The 300 will use the same attachments as the 140, the 312, 314, the Kohler powered 316, and the 317.  It is what as known as a closed frame design, which means the rear of the frame is enclosed by a hitch plate.  Deere made an integral hitch and a 3 point hitch that was also used on the tractors I mentioned in the first sentence of this paragraph.  The integral hitch was the same hitch used on the square fender 110/112 and the early 200 series, except for a couple of parts.  The notch in the rear of the fender pan was there to accommodate the lift rod from the rock shaft.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Mike'sHorseBarn
3 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Looks like a multi-cultural garage ... Green Red Yellow what else is hiding in there. I did have an affliction for those style JD until I priced one new that's how I ended up with my Anniversary 520H new nearly $4k difference back in '97-'98 I guess those hydraulic snow blades and green paint were expensive.

They're still what I would call expensive. Buying parts for these can break the bank if you have to get too involved. As for the colors, I do have a multicultural collection. I don't really discriminate based on color a whole lot, I discriminate based on price :D. My favorite has been and always will be wheel horse, but other tractors are fun to mess with too, they're just more of a pain in the butt to work on!  

• Like 1

T-Mo

Honestly, I have found JD parts to be relative to other brand parts, as for prices.  If you buy OEM parts from a dealer, they will be more expensive than aftermarket parts.  It's just the nature of the beast.  Kubota part prices are the highest, though.

• Like 1

Mudrig150

That thing is Mint. I got my 317 looks to be all original with the Deere emblem on the grille and all the knobs, and a nice headlight panel. My 317 is about as nice, but it's made of about 5 other tractors. 

• Thanks 1

Mike'sHorseBarn
1 hour ago, Mudrig150 said:

That thing is Mint. I got my 317 looks to be all original with the Deere emblem on the grille and all the knobs, and a nice headlight panel. My 317 is about as nice, but it's made of about 5 other tractors. 

It really is in pretty good shape. None of the plastic is broken or anything like that. The ammeter is busted up, but that seems to be a common problem on this particular series of John Deere's. Got a good used one coming to me in the mail right now. Everything works good, but I do need to get under it and see if I can figure out how to fix the hydrostatic creep. I got some good tips over on the weekend freedom machines forum so I'll try that out.