Pnptractr

Starter solenoid

Pnptractr

Is it unusual to have an electric start that does not use a starter solenoid?  This 1971 Workhorse has the Tecumseh HHM80 that has starter motor without solenoid...heavy wires run from battery to dash key switch and also heavy gage from switch to starter motor...seems odd...all diagrams I find show a solenoid ....thinking this may overload/burn the key switch but it does crank and runs like this ?

Any Advise would be most appreciated

Howie

Wheel horse wired some of them like this. If it has the correct  switch 

the lugs where that heavier wire from the starter will be considerably  

bigger. Switch is made to handle that load.

Pnptractr

Thanks....I was hoping that was the case....very good of you to respond....hope I can return the favor..

• Like 1

WHX??

That would be correct, commonly known as a 70 amp switch. Still available let us know you need one we'll hook you up. Most of my sixties vintages have them but I did convert a couple to use a solenoid then use a standard five terminal switch. 

BTW :WRS: 

• Thanks 1

gwest_ca

If the switch still works and you want to extend it's life add a solenoid.

Your tractor is an 18W in the 1971 parts list. Click on the fuzzy pictures.

Garry

953 nut

:WRS:

The key switch without a solenoid was until the early '70s. In my opinion it is much safer to mount a solenoid on the engine and have a smaller wire that is protected by a fuse  go to the ignition switch. The idea of an unprotected high amperage capability wire running behind the gas tank is a bit strange to me.       :scared-eek:

• Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

The Tuul Crib
46 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

The key switch without a solenoid was until the early '70s. In my opinion it is much safer to mount a solenoid on the engine and have a smaller wire that is protected by a fuse  go to the ignition switch. The idea of an unprotected high amperage capability wire running behind the gas tank is a bit strange to me.       :scared-eek:

:text-yeahthat:

The Tuul Crib

:text-welcomeconfetti:to:rs:

:wwp:

pfrederi
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

No guts no Glory.....:P

• Haha 2

Pnptractr
1 minute ago, pfrederi said:

No guts no Glory.....:P

“All glory is fleeting”

• Haha 1

Pnptractr
Just now, Pnptractr said:

“All glory is fleeting”

And thank you for the info...I agree with your cautionary thoughts on the proximity of fuel tank.  Probably need some form of fire suppression nearby just in case.  Engineers and Designers make a lot of decisions but the ones made by their attorneys these days seems to take top priority......ha ha....BTW...you guys have a great forum here...Will try to contribute.

• Heart 1

Pnptractr

New to this...testing

WHX??
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Now where is that 'moji for chicken?!?!? :lol:

Interesting tho Richard I thought they did away with them in the late '60's. 

A pic of one of my solenoid conversions on a SG motor. 

20170522_205414.jpg

• Excellent 1

SPINJIM

Some of the metal gas tanks had a layer of rubber insulation glued to the back to insulate from the switch terminals, just in case.  Others just had a piece of clear plastic looped around the switch to prevent contact with the gas tank, but those pieces of plastic didn't hold up.   If you stay with the 70 amp switch, I'd recommend some kind of layer of insulation on the back of the gas tank.  A fire can ruin a nice day of seat time.   :happy-bouncyredfire:

Jim

Edited by SPINJIM
  • Like 1

as already said , if you want the switch to last add a solenoid.  both my `68 Lawn Ranger and my `68 Commando i added solenoids. cheap and easy to do

• Like 1

Pnptractr

Fuel tank is plastic poly something non conducting but will consider converting.  Like the idea of fused lead to solenoid....

Thanks all for responses....and solenoid just sounds way cooler than “switch” ....

• Excellent 1

Pnptractr
7 hours ago, The Tool Crib said:

:text-welcomeconfetti:to:rs:

:wwp:

Here it is!

IMG3624whw.jpg.918eb6e0fae361bd0800acbd24f14e7e.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

The Tuul Crib
Just now, Pnptractr said:

IMG3624whw.jpg.918eb6e0fae361bd0800acbd24f14e7e.jpg