BenHolcomb

856 by Holcomb's Auto Body

BenHolcomb

Appreciate the encouragement we're in the home stretch now. Hopefully picking up the remainder of the painted parts tomorrow. Still to do is install the starter generator, pans, guards, hood, pulleys, belts, torque the head and fire her up! Oh and stickers. Can't forget them. 

Side note: I plan to continue running this on AV gas. I can't get non-ethanol around me but 100LL is easily acquired and the price isn't bad. With that in mind I bought several feet of superflex aviation 1/4 fuel line. Little mod to keep it from breaking down the rubber as this stuff is safe for most everything. 

ebinmaine
15 minutes ago, BenHolcomb said:

AV gas

Is avgas aviation and hence non E...?

BenHolcomb
46 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Is avgas aviation and hence non E...?

Correct LL stands for low lead in the 98~100 octane range I believe. Non-ethanol and most old engines love it. As do several air-cooled vintage motorcycles we run. I dont run it in the tractor for any performance reason although I do believe it burns cooler and in theory would lubricate better containing Lead...but the shelf life is great so I don't need to drain anything. There's a small airport near me that sells it, so it gets used in all my power equipment.

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, BenHolcomb said:

Correct LL stands for low lead in the 98~100 octane range I believe. Non-ethanol and most old engines love it. As do several air-cooled vintage motorcycles we run. I dont run it in the tractor for any performance reason although I do believe it burns cooler and in theory would lubricate better containing Lead...but the shelf life is great so I don't need to drain anything. There's a small airport near me that sells it, so it gets used in all my power equipment.

Here in Maine most airports have 108 and most airports also won't sell it unless you have a tail number from your plane.

A few places do sell to anyone with proper gas can but $$$$$.... WOW.

I'm VERY lucky... I have a station just over the border in NH that's sells non E.

• Like 1

BenHolcomb

I haven't checked the price lately since the OPEC troubles. Typically it's a $1-2 more than high test which seems like a lot...but it's a fraction of what those little cans of premix cost that all my echo tools use. Nor do I want to mess with stabilizer or rebuilding ity-bity carbs when ethanol inevitably ruins them. The pump does require a tail number so I usually pick a random warbird just to irritate and confuse big brother. 

(Inspector) Why did a B-29 land at New garden and only buy 5 gallons? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Heart 1

WHX??

That is just beuuuutiiiiful Ben! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Once you get a seat on her make sure that fender pan is latched. Those little :auto-dirtbike: can make that pan flip up! 

• Like 4

BenHolcomb

Hope to be mowing with it this weekend if I can finish the seat. As far as engine break in goes consensus seems to be all over the place..so I'm warming it up then varying the rpms in different gears and will do another oil change after an hour or so. 

My grandfather who originally owned the tractor suggested I get another to actually beat on because this has turned out too nice. 

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

tom2p

outstanding job !!!

• Like 1

WHX??

Just remember one thing … Grampas are always right! 

Best way to break in is full throttle and under a load! Get them rings to seat. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

BenHolcomb
2 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Just remember one thing … Grampas are always right! 

Best way to break in is full throttle and under a load! Get them rings to seat. 

Makes sense! The only hesitancy I have is I don't have a way of checking max rpms are correct.. although the governor and throttle are set as they were. Plan to purchase the doohicky that reads single cylinder rpms. 

• Like 1

WHX??
13 minutes ago, BenHolcomb said:

doohicky that reads single cylinder rpms. 

Always a good tool to have.

The max rpm is adjusted by the lever behind the governor nut that the cable attaches to. In the Kohler manual in case you need to reference it. 

• Like 1

R. L. Addison

I've got a couple engines I have put rings in (overhaul) and put the oil that I regularly run in, and the rings don't appear to be seating, so I will put in a non-detergent oil and run them for a while then put in my regular oil like we had to do to some of the  cars in the late '50's and early '60,s.  (At engineering recommendations).

• Like 1

Racinbob
1 hour ago, WHX24 said:

That is just beuuuutiiiiful Ben! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Once you get a seat on her make sure that fender pan is latched. Those little :auto-dirtbike: can make that pan flip up! 

My 500 Special has the same fender latch. I spring loaded it underneath to the latched position.

Incredible job Ben!! 

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

Beautiful!

• Like 1

BenHolcomb

Thanks for the nice comments fellas, the latch spring is a good idea. Mine fits tight as is probably because of paint build up...but ill keep that in mind if it becomes an issue. 

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

Really nice job, looks dang good!! 

Randy

• Like 1

BenHolcomb

Post mowing report. It runs like a top. The only failure was the new brake band fell off. Silicone rtv didn't hold so I'll be trying automotive epoxy next.

20200516_133509.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

Mikey the Monkey

Beautiful. Hopefully stays in your family for generations to come

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:bow-blue:

• Like 1

chex313

Gotta figure the babe is more comfortable with the horse then the scary dog. What a face, adorable:scared-shocked:

• Like 1

Tractorhead

She‘s a real Beauty

• Like 1