Herder

GT-14 Hydro Gear Swop

Herder

I've been stuck working on a friends JD for the last week or so, man what a pain in the @$$ and the hole time I was thinking of all other things that I would rather be doing.  Well I have to wait for some parts to come in, so outside she went.  Here's todays progress.IMG_1539.JPG.46748a57744d33c68f0c5fa9639a3298.JPG

IMG_1542.JPG.ca9098ea28a31b1b9fadbb340d52b975.JPG

As expected the hubs were a bit of a challenge.

IMG_1544.JPG.c063b82395435542affeb3ec0e8d0dc3.JPG 

IMG_1543.JPG.2d2731108ce9cb49b32d2d82ff5a482b.JPG

IMG_1548.JPG.49c4523126387c05b33f61c64a3f197e.JPG

That dolly sure is handy. :handgestures-thumbupright:

IMG_1547.JPG.8136f113c6978a1f05e3a74240ceb98a.JPG

IMG_1546.JPG.71511916bfcd7d279988c18e57df9eac.JPG  

IMG_1545.JPG

Edited by Herder
  • Like 3

pfrederi

How did you pull your hubs.  One of mine is being a real PIA

Herder
11 hours ago, pfrederi said:

How did you pull your hubs.  One of mine is being a real PIA

I bolted the two hubs together and used threaded rod a washer and a nut.  I used one hub to pull theses off.  It will works most of the time.  I had been spraying the keyways with BP Blaster for a while.  The right side hub was tight!!  I tightened up on it as much as I could and smacked it with the BFH and it popped.  I will chalk it up to luck this time.  I was sure that it was going to brake.   

Edited by Herder

pfrederi
50 minutes ago, Herder said:

I bolted the two hubs together and used threaded rod a washer and a nut.  I used one hub to pull these off.  It will works most of the time.  I had been spraying the keyways with BP Blaster for a while.  The right side hub was tight!!  I tightened up on it as much as I could and smacked it with the BFH and it popped.  I will chalk it up to luck this time.  I was sure that it was going to brake.   

Good for you ...mine still hasn't given way.  Tried eh second hub no go ...now working pulling from behind still nothing.

• Sad 1

Herder

So I was doing a little research and was trying to identify this transaxle for the propose parts purchases.  There's no ID tag and according to the manual it should be a 5070.  I was on Wheel Horse Parts and More, filling up my cart and was unsure of what the proper axle and case seals are.  I see there are two different type of hydro axle seals and two different case seals offered by part number.  Any suggestions or help identifying the proper ones would be appreciated.  Thanks.       

IMG_1546.JPG.71511916bfcd7d279988c18e57df9eac.JPG

Herder

Is the GT-14s final drive an open differential or should it be?  Note: the keyways are located in the same position on both sides.  When you turn one axle by hand in ether forward or revere the other rotates in the same direction and is locked. (?)  The case appears to have been opened before.  I am wounding if some has converted it into a locker or possibly broke something.  Thanks in advance.

IMG_1542.JPG.ca9098ea28a31b1b9fadbb340d52b975.JPG

• Like 1

oldredrider

The GT-14 came with a limited slip diff. What you are seeing is normal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Herder
7 minutes ago, oldredrider said:

The GT-14 came with a limited slip diff. What you are seeing is normal.

I appreciate it, thank you.  

19richie66

Don’t know how I missed this one. Very nice tractor. Awesome thread for future reference. I’ll be following along.

• Thanks 1

Herder
5 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

Don’t know how I missed this one. Very nice tractor. Awesome thread for future reference. I’ll be following along.

A lot of great info here on RedSquare, but even better yet is the amazing group of guys who are willing to help anyone that needs a hand.  I am very glad to have found this website and have had the opportunity to join the family.   

• Excellent 3

Herder

Here's the update, I finished up the reassembly of the pump and reattached it to the transaxle after going through and resurfacing everything.  I change the acceleration springs and checked all the others, everything was good.  This past weekend was the opportunity to get it in and go for a test run.  Excellent!! works prefect.  Thanks everyone for the assistance and this great website we have.

:happy-jumpeveryone:       

IMG_1556.JPG.dc9a7b9f807e3ae755646278c5ac264c.JPGIMG_1557.JPG.4acdfd59f98c79b9aaf96198a3b2f9e1.JPG

• Excellent 3
  • Heart 2

ebinmaine

AWESOME

• Thanks 1

19richie66

Sweet! Always a good thing when it pays off.

Herder
28 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Sweet! Always a good thing when it pays off.

Yes it is.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

gt14rider

Nice job:greetings-clappingyellow:

• Thanks 1

Herder

EB this was only way I could think to resurface the thread. 

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, Herder said:

EB this was only way I could think to resurface the thread. 

This is just perfect Adam. Thank you very much.

• Excellent 1