Kevinm

1989 520H relays

Kevinm

I have a 1989 520H.   The  1991 wiring diagram  I have  shows relays. Some people have indicated that they are under the battery tray. There are none under mine. They only relay I found was next to the starter. I also found all the safe switches, but no kill relay. Is the 1989 wiring diagram different? I am diagnosing the starter circuit, as the relay clicks, but the starter does not turn. I checked all the safety's, and cleaned the 9 pin connector. It worked for a while, and now it will not start. Any help would be appreciated. I also plan to install a new key switch and a starter.

gwest_ca

Garry

Kevinm

Thanks for the fast response!!

biged77

Before changing any parts I would check the battery voltage.  Should be 12.5V or higher.  Also clean the battery and solenoid connections including the battery ground.  You can rule out the starter by hooking a jumper cable from the battery plus to the starter, just make sure the tractor is in neutral and the PTO is disengaged.  

Ed

Kevinm

Thanks,

I went over every connection on the machine and cleaned and tested all the safety switches and coated the connections with dielectric grease. The battery is good and, I keep it on a battery tender. I think the only thing left s a dead spot on the starter. The correct wiring diagram will also help. I was going a little crazy working with the later model diagram, as it is not the same,

Thanks again.

biged77

Looks like you have done all the right things so far.  You are fortunate to have a 520H model with a simple electrical system, no extra relays.  The likely culprits are the solenoid or starter since you hear a clicking sound,  indicating the rest of the circuitry is working as it should {solenoid is getting an actuate signal).

Ed

Kevinm

Thanks. the troubleshooting forced me to go over the entire electrical system.

cleat

Here are the 2 wire diagrams both early and later.

I have converted all of mine to the early style for simplicity, reliability, and for the fact that in the end they both do the exact same thing.

I do not see why all the extra relays were added or why they decided to put all the charge current through the 9 pin connector.

This is the early diagram Wheel horse 520H wire diagram.pdf

This is the later diagram Later model 520 wire diagram.pdf

Cleat

Kevinm

Thanks