ebinmaine

My honey fixed up her work table today

ebinmaine

We have an old roll around table that my grandfather built at least 3 decades ago.

It's extremely handy. I put a vice on one corner many many years ago.

It's become Trina's go to work station. Just the right height. Roughly 30 by 40 inches.

She's been looking for a way to grind paint and rust indoors and we talked about that in another thread here somewhere. We put a furnace filter on the face of a box fan and she fastened the fan to the corner of the table.

She also put a power strip on the leg of the table for a handy 120 volt electric source.

She tried it out this evening by removing more paint with the grinding wheel. Worked great!

IMG_20191221_175648732.jpg.bf32e187d1b7878a815293fc7b945036.jpg

IMG_20191221_175700461.jpg.114e9a67283d85d27ac1d246e3898cb2.jpg

• Like 9

953 nut

WHX??

Gotta like the dust pickup apparatus!  :handgestures-thumbupright: The way the filter looks works fairly good too. Who here ain't got a half dozen of them box fans laying around.  That's using the old noggin for something else that a hat rack! 

Ney Ney on the washable Richard... should clean them outside and bets are EB's garden hoses are either frozen solid or put away for the winter! ... Sides EB's got connections with a guy in the filter business now! :D

Edited by WHX24
  • Haha 1

WHNJ701

now I know where to send frames to get cleaned

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

washable filter

Certainly.

I got a couple cheapos to make sure the idea would work.

Now that it's together I'll pick up a better filter.

1 hour ago, WHX24 said:

works fairly good too

Worked better than expected.

You can see on the table her facemask... Is nearly clean.

36 minutes ago, jabelman said:

now I know where to send frames to get cleaned

Bring em on up!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Alex175

Really wish I had read this post a week ago.  I've got an engine stand I decided to clean up and paint, now there is red dust on everything in my garage... oh well, at least it's red :lol:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, Alex175 said:

Really wish I had read this post a week ago.  I've got an engine stand I decided to clean up and paint, now there is red dust on everything in my garage... oh well, at least it's red :lol:

Been there a time or two...

Drove me nuts wiping the dust off for weeks after.

That's why we set this up. 

ZXT

Did you do any cleaning around the area before you posted the pictures? Everything around the table looks extremely clean and the fan/filter combo look to have performed extremely well. It's amazing how well simple things perform so well... That's probably why we love WH's so much! ;-)

Be careful not to pull too much load on that power strip! They have been known to (and I have seen many) melt and deform badly from a large load being placed on them.. Not sure when your house was built, but there were certain times when bad electrical safety equipment (electrical panels) was installed in houses and such a situation could result in a fire! :angry-fire:

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, ZXT said:

Did you do any cleaning around the area before you posted the pictures? Everything around the table looks extremely clean and the fan/filter combo look to have performed extremely well

No cleaning up at all.

That's how I found it when I came in from the workshop.

The house was built in 2002 and 03.

All the wiring was done by a local husband and wife team with a great reputation.

Since then it's been added to by a couple other electricians.

Most recently this year. We added quite a few new circuits (welder, compressor, lights, electric heat). Also modified some from the oil spill in the basement. (We had moved walls).

Trina's much more aware and safety conscious than most (it's a huge part of both our jobs) and I'll remind her about the overload...

Thanks !!

• Like 1

dclarke

Looks good Eric! You two are very good at coming up with solutions to things, I always enjoy following along. Keep up the good work! 

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Trina added a second fan/filter combo this evening.

She noticed that a fair amount of the debris was coming towards her and on the floor.

Problem solved.

IMG_20191228_211148411.jpg.7f612b2f161b6584c5e893e6e62188e6.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

formariz

You may want to do a second top a few inches above that one with perforations and sealed on perimeter and attach shop vacuum to it like a regular sanding table. It also would not hurt to introduce 3 tall sides on table to keep all dust contained on top of table. It will restrict work a bit but it will be a major improvement on dust collection.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, formariz said:

second top a few inches above that one with perforations

Shared this with her. She likes this idea.

What would you use for material?

How many holes?

formariz

Here is one simple idea. If you have some pegboard laying around you can use that. Many different ways of doing it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1